62' Super Hurricane 25hp

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 62' Super Hurricane 25hp

This is my first Merc. Just got it a couple weeks ago. According to the guy I got it from, the reeds were bad. He was right about the bad cylinder on the Chrysler I got with it.

The crank rotates CW, but the prop turns CCW in forward. Is this standard for a Merc?

The throttle is still a head-scratcher. When you twist the tiller in reverse, it opens the flap in the carb and advances the spark. Twisting into forward, it barely rotates 1/8th turn, the spark is still retarded an the carb flap is closed. huh?
    Attached Files
    '59 Clippercraft, 35 hp Evinrude

Brian,
    I went out and looked and you are correct,...The flywheel rotates clockwise and the prop rotates counter-clockwise.
    I'm not sure what to think about your description of the throttle & shift.
    Is yours a Merc250? I believe that has a bizarre 'automatic' shift with the water pump stuffed up in a very awkward place requiring special tools and an extra gallon or two of patience to even think about changing out the impeller and if the drive spring breaks - all bets are off.
    The little 22 ci Super Hurricane powerheads a sweet lil motors and can be used when building a 'rat racer' but the driveshaft housing and lower unit on those beasts leave something to be desired.
    Want another one to double your misery with? I have a very similar Merc200 that I'll give you a screaming good deal on. It turns over smoothly with the feeling of having great compression.
    $25 if you come and get it.

More (for effort) if I have to ship the ugly duckling or parts of it.
    Thom Shelton, WA 98584
    Attached Files
    Doc Frankenmerc
    Keeping Mercs alive since 1965

Comment

Yeah, it's a 250. I was wondering if it was some kind of toggle shifter. If it is, it might be messed up but seems to be it pretty good shape otherwise. Of course no telling what the impeller looks like. I've been warned about these Mercury lower units. I'm hoping new reeds and a carb/fuel pump rebuild will get it going.

I'll have to take a rain check on that 200. Now if you had a 250 I'd be tempted to try twin 25's.

This 250 is supposed to be my kicker, but I just got the Chrysler power head taken apart and drilling out the last of the broke-off bolts.
      '59 Clippercraft, 35 hp Evinrude

Comment

Working...
      X