Bellboy Hull Number

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bellboy Hull Number

I was sanding my today and I decided to look for the serial number. I did find it and the numbers are 5-3155. Does anybody know what it means. I would also like to know what kind of gasket any of you Bellboy restorers used to go between the hull and the windshield framework.

Great find Dennis.

I don't remember who had the numbers and could look them up now ??

The Bell Boy Numbers person, please step forward
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Bellboy numbers

Thanks, Joe. If you think about it tomorrow maybe you could ask Marty. Maybe he might know.

Comment

I would look at Wefco rubber's catalog to see what might be usable for your cabin windows. I found a "J gasket" with them that works perfectly with my removable bridge windshield.
        Best,
        Bob

Comment

Hi Dennis, I was thinking the last two numbers would indicate the year. Can't really remember it's been a while since I've looked at the one on mine.
          When I took the windshield surround off my 16 footer it had nothing in between it and the hull. I used black ribbon caulking, or it might be called strip caulking, available at most auto parts stores. It squished (technical term) down for a seal, but I was thinking I could still remove it someday. Seem to work pretty well. - Ross
          Ross Henson

Comment

Bell Boys

Dennis -

At one time, we thought we understood Bell Boy's numbering system (like '55' meant 1955, etc), but after seeing more and more Bell Boys and after talking with Art Nordvedt--manager of BB in the early days--it became clear that we didn't know much. Art explained that the company had a lot of different production managers and/or other supervisors during the 1954-1960 period...and that every time somebody new came along they were likely to change the numbering system. (At least that was Art's recollection, and way of explaining why some of the numbers seemed to make sense, and others did not.) So, the answer is that we don't know the answer with any certainty. Yours could have been built in '55, or not, and even if it the hull went together in 1955, it could have been sold as a '56 model.

I'd follow Ross Henson's advice on bedding the windshield frame. Works well.

- Marty
            http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Working...
            X