Proper Wiring

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper Wiring

I need to rewire my boat from scratch. I currently looks like a bad clustered mess. Does anyone know a good source for how to properly wire and ground a boat DC system ?

Thanks
    Tom

Tom, I'm in the same boat. When I got mine, nothing was wired. There is an old fuse block, but nothing connected to it.

I know very little about electricity, so I started looking for info. Found a couple books, but not a lot of help. But between the books and what I've found on different websites, I think I've sort of got it figured out. Before I start, I plan on talking to someone who really knows how to wire a boat properly. Then I'll see if I really have it figured out.

Or, as a last resort, hire someone to wire it. Would rather do it myself and save some bucks though. Good luck with your project.
    Steve Kiesel
    1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Refer to Nigel Calder's The Boat Owners Electrical and Mechanical Manual or Don Casey's Sailboat Electrics Simplified. Calder's book is comprehensive and Casey's book, though intended for sailboats, is a very good beginner's reference for 12V systems.

Above all, adhere to ABYC specifications for marine 12V wiring. A boat is a turbulent, vibration-rich, wet environment that requires specific standards to function properly and consistently. Never use shore based electrical wiring standards for marine applications, this includes hiring a residential electrician to wire your boat. You can do it properly yourself with a little bit of study, but if you hire someone, make sure they are ABYC certified.

Comment

Boat Wiring

I have a book at the shop that I have to use from time to time that helps me remember the color codes that should be used.
        I don't remember all the terms but you do need the marine wire.
        Things move allot so everything has to be secured for vibration.

Takes time to do it right. Good planning is the first step.
        Helmar Joe Johanesen
        1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
        1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
        Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
        2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
        http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Boat wiring

Nigel Calder's book is VERY comprehensive and expensive. There is also the 12 Volt Bible. No doubt many other printed works out there plus info on the net.

Boat wire is usually tin plated and has more strands for any given wire size. More strands make more flexible wire that can carry more current. Wiring sizing is importent, based on expected current and length of run.

Tim plated bus bars, terminal blocks and fuse blocks recommended. Use tin plated eye terminals. Heat shrink to seal out moisture.

Adaquate clamping keeps the installation neat and avoids being snagged by gear or lines.

Fuse just about everything!

Good luck,

McSkagit
          Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

First off you need to understand how electrical devices actually operate....they don't run on electricity...they run on smoke. Ever notice how after the smoke comes out that it no longer works? Case closed.

Seriously, you may want to consider using some Dielectric grease on connections to seal out moisture...this is very common in certain automotive applications.

Below are a couple of links to Amazon for the above suggested books:
            http://www.amazon.com/Boatowners-Mec.../dp/0071432388

http://www.amazon.com/Sailboat-Elect.../dp/0070366497

Comment

Thanks for the links BB404. Those both look like really good resources for getting the job done right. Going to get started on the wiring shortly (in a few weeks), should be fun.
              Steve Kiesel
              1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Working...
              X