repairing slight hook in banshee hull

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• repairing slight hook in banshee hull

I noticed I have a slight (1/8") hook in the aft portion of my banshee hull. Good news is it is flipped over and ready for filler and fairing. I have a five ft steel straight edge and am laying it agains the transom bottom to a point forward 5 ft. The hook occurs about two ft forward of the transom. (Probably rested on a roller at some time in its life) If I am fair aft to forwar and side to side for 5-6 ft is that sufficient for a 15ft boat? Thanks for the help. Want to get it right while it is upside down. Mike
    Attached Files

Mike ,
    Now if you were racing it would matter,but I don`t think so and feel an 1/8`` will only lose you a mile or so an hour tops.
    I bent my 1st Safe boat
    proto 5`` over the first 8 feet of .100 corrogated hull at one time ,and lost almost 10 mph before it finally mattered on a hot summer day.......and top speed dippped into the 30`s.Couldn`t get any bow lift no matter what trim angle.A hooked hull just won`t lift as you trim which lightens the steering torque.The worst is when it makes it pull hard to one side as the bow is forced down.
    A 1/4 to 1/2`` over 2` would be the time to get fairing and filling.

A neighbor just told me he put a 1/4`` tall tapered shim on his transom edge one time to keep a 40` boat from porpoising.Said he loved the way the bow stayed down and was a $1000 or so cheaper than the Hydr. trim tab set-up most run and then maintain.
    He said he duct taped it to test it out ,then glassed it on while drydocked.
    I`d not worry too much and proceed.
    The bigger the HP ,the more it will also matter....
    TimM
    unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
    15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
    SeaRay 175BR
    Hi-Laker lapline
    14` Trailorboat

Comment

Hooks and Rockers and other hull irregularities

Generally speaking keeping the hull as perfect as possible will illiminate handling issues.

I have an article from Professional Boatbuilder some years back, that looks at handling problems with planning hulls (which are fairly common). As I recall the story is called Dynamic Hull Instabilities.

Article decribes various hull design and construction issues, such as hooks. As little as 1/4 inch out can create serious handling problems.

Your boat is faily small, but probably worth the effort to make it as true as possible.

Tim
      Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Working...
      X