Finally got Steerage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally got Steerage

After 3 weeks of fixing broke vehicles, finally got a couple days off to work on the boat and got the steering done. It was a bit of a puzzle, but much easier now that I know how.

First off, I had to run both cables to one side instead of opposite directions so the cable wouldn't cut across the cabin. But that required a support for the drum.

What I came up with was an idler pulley inside the drum turning on a roller bearing. All that was counter sunk into a tough old piece of oak, cut to fit. Some more wood and metal work, it was ready to install.

Oh yeah, the "triangle thing with the pullies" that attaches to the motor was made from scrap stock. The guy at the salvage yard wanted $20 for an old rusty one.

Seems to work pretty good. It's one full rotation left and right from dead ahead. Hope to be on the water by the end of the month.
    Attached Files
    '59 Clippercraft, 35 hp Evinrude

Steering

Nice job!
    Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Brian, Must be nice having a little one to do all the under dash work. I broke my steering cable by tilting my motor up to far when I beeched it to clam dig yesterday. had to use my easy steer and kicker handle to get home. Looked like a stooge out in front of Anthonys laying on my back trying to remove it. Could of used a "little" help. John
      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
      X