Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interlux Perfection - 1st coat!

WOW! I love this paint!!!

I spent hours on prep this time and boy did it pay off. This paint covers more evenly than any other paint I have used! Fantastic. It was rolled and tipped but quite honestly, I found with today's temperature and humidity, it worked better just rolling the paint on. I used a little reducer and the paint flowed and settled beautifully. I ended up with not one sag or run. Tomorrow (or when I am sure the paint has cured hard enough to sand) I will sand with 400 and re-coat with the final color coat. I chose Oyster White. It is whiter than my original yellowish-white gel coat but it looks very clean and has tremendous gloss. I would recommend this paint for all the restorations to fiberglass out there in the NW. I am just so impressed with Interlux! Here are the shots from today...
    Best, Bob
    Attached Files

Looks fantasic Bob. Good job with the roller. Glad it all turned out good. I think the weather is a big part in getting the paint to lay down properly. I did some test painting last summer when it was too hot. It was really hard to keep a wet edge. Even if it's not perfect, I found that a little buffing really finishes it off. Good luck with the rest of the job.
    Steve Kiesel
    1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Great news Bob! Glad to hear things are going better this time around. Keep the pics coming! :TakePicture1:
      Mark
      Silverdale, WA.
      1956 BellBoy Express 16

Comment

Looks good Bob, you're making me anxious to get started on mine!

Tim

Comment

More Red

This talk got me motivated too,even got it done on the sides but skipped a step or two to try the stuff on WITH NO PRIMER.Topsides got the full treatment which wiped me out.....had the usual "G-par pimple syndrome" srom cheap paint put on with no good wipedown.
          Worked well so far, saved a few days and a hundred or so $.
          On a Free hull ,you got to keep things in check ,especially when other in the fleet remain with needs.
          That Poly is great primer since you scuff it up between coats anyways.
          I too have had it lay down with no bubbles and just let it flatten up with no tipping.....but do babysit it so it doesn`t creep out whille you are doing a victory dance.
          Heating mildy from inside the hull with Happy`s air Driers really helps harden it overnight ,set up before and apply power as you finish the sides.
          Learning how little paint is needed ,I now save paint from wasting too.Down to 4 Oz. batches which means an extra coat is alsways left if needed.
          TM
          Attached Files
          unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
          15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
          SeaRay 175BR
          Hi-Laker lapline
          14` Trailorboat

Comment

Interlux Perfection

Looks great! What primer did you use? How long did it take to prep the hull?
            Have any pin holes in the gelcoat? Is Perfection one or two part?

Reason I ask is I've been prepping the Saratogan hull. Been at it two weeks!
            I am am soooo tired of sanding. Now have two coats epoxy primer on and most of the 2000 pin holes filled. Found one area where the gelcoat was 5/32 inch thick! Close to spraying the top coat..... Can't wait... !

Tim
            Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Working...
            X