No announcement yet.

New Project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am not a professional kind of guy, but what i have discover in putting carpet down in your cockpit area is NOT to glue it. I have been going to Lowes and Home Depot for 15 years and purchasing indoor-outdoor with a rubber base backing and a 3 year guarantee . What it is , is patio carpeting. One of my former boats ( i still miss her ! ....right Jerry ) still has it after 7 years in use. Another one had it for 11 years. The last boat ( 4 years now ) i did has canvas dark blue color keyed snaps of course on all of the corners of the rug. I have even carpeted the sidewall on the hulls as well with 3M Model 90 glue spray....no problems. All a person has to do is unsnap it and hang it out to dry. I will be doing it again soon. Chuck
    Attached Files
    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

I'm not decided on (outdoor) carpet for the deck or the plastic mesh stuff. No rush though, as I am still in demo mode.

In other news, I put the siezed Johnson on craigslist last night and had 14 replies in less than a day! The motor is gone, but I kept the controls. So, if anyone has a need for some cool Johnosn hyrdo drive style controls, let me know. They seem to be in good working order.
      John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
      Past Affairs:
      '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Makin' dust

Don't look back John, you'll be floating in no time.CutUp1

Comment

John ,
          I can get Grey Felt from the Wooldridge folks that easily dries and is great on walls...or even floors.It was made for Trunkliner use but has become what they cover all interiors with in lieu of the carpet.
          It comes pre-glued on one side and is UV stable.
          Figure $11 per running Yard,usually 3-4 does a cabin.
          Spray Glue by 3-M is easy to use and does work well.Use "Super Trim Adhesive" or Super 90 for high temp or headliner applications.Webbing Glue has been used in over 2000 Hulls I fitted from 1990 thru 1999......only in the Midwest summer heat did it ever fail.
          Spraying Horizontal on one surface and vertical on the other makes it seem to stick better.Hard pressure once cut and in place will make it hold.Check and press any loose areas a day later.
          Trust me ,the Grey Felt will take more abuse than most of you will ever put it thru.This includes sinking.......
          Sorry but I can`t find an image of it to share......but know it`s lighter and easier to work with than the rubber backed carpets.
          I can lead you to this stuff if you like.
          Cockpits are nice with the mesh if Non-skid paint isn`t going to look smooth enough.
          TimM
          ps John,You got a dumpster coming?,gawd ,mine all goes out the trash in
          2` foot squares crammed into our trash can.....takes a few weeks.
          unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
          15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
          SeaRay 175BR
          Hi-Laker lapline
          14` Trailorboat

Comment

Tim,

I know the felt you speak of. More than likely, I'll go with a removable carpet in the main cockpit floor area and the floor of the cabin. For the interior, I think I'm going to fir/glass in some strips of wood and then attach a 1/8th birch veneer for the sides of the cabin and the roof. It will all get stained some nice warm color to match my Spiced Rum.

Dumpster, yeah. Poulsbo lets you have a free dumpster once a year as part of their community clean up initiative. So, I ordered one up and had it half filled when my buddy came by on a dump run. We emptied most of it out and then I proceded to fill it up again! The only thing left to come out of the boat now is the bulkheads and some support wood under the gun'ls. That should be easy enough to break down and stuff in the garbage can when the time comes. It's amazing the amount of wood a boat has in it that isn't supposed to have any wood....

In other news, I removed the dash over the weekend. It's chock full of holes from the various instruments installed and has a nicely done, if not worn out, pleather covering over it. I don't plan on using it for the restoration as I will be building out a wood dash on one side, and a matching cabinet for the passenger side (with a true pocket door enclosure). So, add one original dash, in aqua blue, with holes, to the list of available items from the boat.

I also have cleats. I removed them from the deck on Saturday and don't plan on using them. Ever. Having a Glasspar has made me partial to their nice aluminum hardware and I'm going to be hunting for a set of 4 in the months to come. The cleats are whole, but suffer the usual pitting and wear. Not even sure if they are original. I'll post pics later.
            John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
            Past Affairs:
            '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Working...
            X