No announcement yet.

Another Bellboy Project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beautiful Tim. Do you roll the paint or are you spraying? What paint are you using? Nice finish.

Ron
    1967 Glasspar Seafair Sedan Outboard converted from an Inboard
    1962 Dorsett San Juan Inboard converted from an Outboard Now conveting back to an Outboard.......We'll get it right someday

Comment

Rolling ,rolling ,rolling....

Ron ,
      Lots of prep ,no primer .....Rolled it out with heat on the inner hull.
      I used Brightside Seattle Grey as a Base,then mixed it with Green to get the Pastel color.
      Used a little reducer and closed cell foam Rollers to spread it out,then tipped the bubbles and blended with better foam brushes.
      I practiced on the hatch and swimstep assy then moved to the hull wth extra paint used up on the bracket.
      I now see why so many leave the basecoat around the windows......hard to tip it all the same direction.

I like the lack of overspray on windows and in the work area.

Got the Black rubrail on late last night.....just need to whack the ends off once I decide what angle or shape to shoot for.
      Practicing on small leftovers in the vise.
      The winter time painting has one major advantage.....No Bugs or spiders.:Cold1:
      Tim M
      unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
      15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
      SeaRay 175BR
      Hi-Laker lapline
      14` Trailorboat

Comment

Tim -

This looks just gorgeous! The paint scheme really ties the colors together well. I often wish, with my '60 404, that it had more aluminum trim dividing the hull like yours does. The color contrasts look so nice.
        What will you power this with? What are your cabin interior plans?

with admiration,

Bob
        Attached Files

Comment

Brightside

When you rolled and tipped the brightside, how many coats did you do? Did you wet sand? If so, what grit? And what does the heat on the inside of the hull do?

I just can't seam to get the process down.

Thanks,

Karl
          17' Johnson Runabout (1964) Completed
          18' GlassCraft Imperial (1959) Done!
          19' Campion Bowrider (1999) Great family ski/tow boat
          25' Skagit (1960) Two of them. What am I thinking?
          14' Axtell Aquacraft (1950ish)
          14' Stilleto

Comment

Originally posted by BellBoyBob, post: 15025
            Tim -

This looks just gorgeous! The paint scheme really ties the colors together well. I often wish, with my '60 404, that it had more aluminum trim dividing the hull like yours does. The color contrasts look so nice.
            What will you power this with? What are your cabin interior plans?

with admiration,

Bob
            Thanx Bob,
            This hull has a newer 60 hp 3 cyl Mercury with power trim + tilt.Should offer ample power with some economy.This means packing less fuel and more Payload.
            The cabin cushions were like new and are a striped plush Green with some darker stripes.The Seats I scratch built for the new side benches and front fold-downs are grey with some Forrest Green I`ve been hoarding.
            The paint colors were an attempt to tie the various items together.
            The cabin could use some side trays and shelves of some sort but has new hatches under the formerly cupped glass that hid a few trash cans full of small foam cubes......neatly stacked liked bricks but not filling it anymore.
            It now has new supports on top of new stringers and sub-floor.Poured in foam to get some flotation back.
            Karl,
            I`ve been sanding with a vacume sander (150 grit up to 320 g,BUT scotchbrite is done over the entire surface last,with a vacume sucking thru it while scuffing by hand.I did wet-sanding on all corners the machine would not work well on.
            I rolled out a base coat in Grey which made the 1st coat of green actually hold pretty well.Just a few thinner spots can be found,and virtually no runs.
            I do use a small amt of reducer in the paint and wipe down with the same reducer.The method I use is to push fairly firmly while spreading out the paint with a quality Foam Roller.I found some good ones at McLendon`s called "Shur-Line" which are tapered on both ends intsead of one being squared off.
            This makes blending the 1` squares easier and bubbles are then wiped away with a few passes of the Quality Foam 4`` brush.A smaller one is needed around windows and for edges.
            Holding the tipping brush loosely and using lights to see the brushstrokes gets it right the first pass.....you don`t want to touch it again though sags can be stroked if found before it skims over.
            The Heat inside the hull keeps it drying before dust and sags can ruin the look.
            The outer hull went on in one coat....no primer and all scuffed after the machine was carefully used.The dark green took 5!
            The Bottom did get 4 layers of Epoxy primer followed by 4 more of Epoxy Ultima.Sanded off 20 LBS. of old Lead House paint and Gluvit.
            The topsides aren`t bulletproof like the bottom but should last long enough if no gas is spilled across it.
            I`ve learned thinner coats are stronger than stacks of coats that don`t cure well.
            We can stack more on if it wears or gets buggered up.
            Some boats do deserve or call for the 2 part paints and even those can be rolled and tipped,though you do need exotic brushes and different stroke patterns to get it flat.
            I`ve been practicing on free and cheap boats and am getting pretty dialed in with the easy to touch-up Brightside.
            Send a PM or ask if you need more.....
            TimM
            unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
            15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
            SeaRay 175BR
            Hi-Laker lapline
            14` Trailorboat

Comment

Tim,

Thanks for all of the great information. I think that I just need to get a couple more boats to practice on!

Karl
              17' Johnson Runabout (1964) Completed
              18' GlassCraft Imperial (1959) Done!
              19' Campion Bowrider (1999) Great family ski/tow boat
              25' Skagit (1960) Two of them. What am I thinking?
              14' Axtell Aquacraft (1950ish)
              14' Stilleto

Comment

Originally posted by Karl, post: 15041
                Tim,

Thanks for all of the great information. I think that I just need to get a couple more boats to practice on!

Karl
                Karl, I can help you with that, I have a few to get rid of! Free!

Comment

Working...
                X