Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outboard Motor Bracket/Swimstep assy

Time to stir the Pot!
    Started fabbing this up for a neighbor`s Bellboy project.The goal is to move the Short Mercury 60 hp back ,add a swimstep and create a kicker bracket all at once.
    I will need to foam it and add some buoncy after getting the basic Motor mounting surfaces as they need to be.....it`s one thing to make it ,another to reach the bolts and nuts and not have to blast a deck access ring into it.
    It will be removable if it doesn`t perform as hoped.This is all a "Black Art".

I`ll use Woven roving to form the sides with tabs going over each from left and right.Then I`ll squish those layers between the second layers of
    3/4`` plywood (where the mounting bolts for transom and motor will be).Doorskin will be ground off as it is built,then woven applied around the shape from outside.Chop strand and Cloth will smooth and form the skin.
    Top surface will have to be low enough for draining of well plug,clearing steering when tilted,and high enough for being above the waterline.
    Motor will also end up being 16`` back ,and roughly 1.25`` higher than before.Don`t want to risk be too Tall as it may porpoise if it creates a "rocking chair" effect.Too low and we`ll raise the motor bolts accordingly.

Most new boat builders now use XLong models (on Bracket equipped hulls )over even the Longshafts for powerhead safety,this being short will sorta push the up/down envelope.
    Moored Twins seems to always lose the lowest cylinders,usually after a dunking with powerhead pistons happening to be at the wrong place ,at the wrong time.Dunk it briefly while backing in at a steep ramp,in following seas with motor off (trolling), or when filled with rainwater while moored and then letting it sit could all lead to rings rusting in the lowest hole.Or turn it over with that water still inside and it will pop a piston.

Using channel Alum would be too easy......this will be labor intensive in glass/wood but totally built to fit this transom/Motor.I saw this very item built on many of the Wooldrige DeepWater series (now the Offshore line) that I once outfitted.I tried hard not to copy their`s(One is sitting across the street from where this is taking place,want to know how many times I almost walked over for a peek?) Didn`t do it.....
    Still, it came out similar however,sorta like houses and Pick-up trucks.
    Side-note:Funny that their cabin hull layout is more like a Seafair Sedan than the Arima they claimed it was designed to mimick.The $60 "Luxory Tax" created to collect King County revenue also led to the bracket equipped 15` 11`` hulls.
    Had they copied the bottom,I`d have bought that model over my SAFE boat.....

Any ideas,knowledge or thoughts to share would be nice to hear,I know this Bracket will work for other boats too......flatter transoms will obviously make it easier and the conversion from I/O just means the front panel has to be true Vertical.
    TimM
    Attached Files
    unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
    15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
    SeaRay 175BR
    Hi-Laker lapline
    14` Trailorboat

Tim,

Please keep posting updates on the bracket that you are making. I hope to do the same to the 25' Skagit that I picked up from Marty last year.

Thanks,

Karl
    17' Johnson Runabout (1964) Completed
    18' GlassCraft Imperial (1959) Done!
    19' Campion Bowrider (1999) Great family ski/tow boat
    25' Skagit (1960) Two of them. What am I thinking?
    14' Axtell Aquacraft (1950ish)
    14' Stilleto

Comment

Tim,

Thanks for posting the project pics. I'll be taking notes. I need to modify my stern for more bouyancy. With that heavy Chrysler plus a kicker the stern drags a little low.
      '59 Clippercraft, 35 hp Evinrude

Comment

Originally posted by Karl, post: 13775
        Tim,

Please keep posting updates on the bracket that you are making. I hope to do the same to the 25' Skagit that I picked up from Marty last year.

Thanks,

Karl
        Hey Karl.

I remember being all over your 25 as well as helping bring it up from Portland.
        If I would have had scored that boat, I would have looked for a later model Donor boat with a small V8 and maybe the larger OMC outdrive.
        I have a 24 foot boat that is running the 302 Ford engine with the OMC outdrive and in that hull, I think the engine would be almost under the deck, or darn close.

The V8 I/O is common power for allot of 24 foot boats
        Helmar Joe Johanesen
        1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
        1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
        Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
        2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
        http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Here`s some more for you guys......
          Can`t make it to Mason so I`ll share some pics.
          A 25 ` would need a mighty OB to power it,the Inboard would really make it more economical Gallon Per Hour wise.
          This hull will only need a 60 hp so we`re not trying to float as much as most.
          Kicker bracket going on th stbd.
          TimM
          ps Karl , I have a pic or two of your OMC on Montlake awhile back....will send your way if you`d like.
          Attached Files
          SeaRay 175BR
          Hi-Laker lapline
          14` Trailorboat

Comment

progress pics

Not easy but it`s gonna work.
            Glassed from one side,grinded wood nearly off ,especially along center "I Beams" .Held my body weight already!
            I Chop stranded with Woven in critical areas,pinched it between 1`` Marine Ply at motor and Mounting Bolts,thickened epoxy used in cracks and seams of woven.Baltek in the corners.Leaving it in cubes led to a design change.....
            Linear Glass goes from side to side,topped with cloth while still tacky so I could really press hard with the flexible spreader.
            Port side is getting a small wooden ladder that will hinge off the weird notch.
            Used mostly cut-outs and pcs from the Transom and splashwell work so some of the same curves/Angles came back into play.Also had the patterns to use as French Curves which helps give the "BOX" some unity to the boat.
            Foaming and sealing the bottom will make this Boondoggle a bit pricey,but we`ll gain Flotation by not using a bolt-on bracket that also doesn`t offer a swimstep and kicker bracket.Or the Kick -down chines the squared Baltek "accidently" created when I roughen in the rear corners.Test fitting the doorskin Bottom pattern revealed it could bend onto the angled surface quite easily.I`ll pour -in place foam thru the ends which will get the final capping.

TM StirPot
            Attached Files
            SeaRay 175BR
            Hi-Laker lapline
            14` Trailorboat

Comment

latest pics

This is almost like building a Surfboard!
              Down to final fairing.It has really started to take a smooth form.:BigHappy1:
              This consumed almost 1 gallon of Epoxy ,a half gallon of A/B Foam and then quite a bit of Fairing Filler.....West System has the fairing flavors I favor.....
              With Fiberlay raising prices ,I`ve had to also use the System Three epoxy from Fisheries Supply to make this not kill the budget.
              Hoping to prime and mt before the coming Winter......:Cold1:

TimM
              Attached Files
              SeaRay 175BR
              Hi-Laker lapline
              14` Trailorboat

Comment

Painted.....

Pretty much done....just some more Non-skid across the top and it`ll be ready to bolt on the Bellboy "16 PLUS".A Sixteen foot hull plus 16`` of set-back......:cool1:
                Really came really smooth and doesn`t distract from the lines and curves of the hull.Let`s hope it works ,but if not ,we can always un-bolt it.
                TM
                Attached Files
                SeaRay 175BR
                Hi-Laker lapline
                14` Trailorboat

Comment

Nice job Mattson, keep us posted on your testing.:GoodJob:

Comment

Ok, now I see it going backwards from finished product to layout and it's all making sense. Great demo Tim! Appreciate you posting it and I'll be using it in the future. :cool1:
                    '59 Clippercraft, 35 hp Evinrude

Comment

Working...
                    X