Cute little woody!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cute little woody!!

So Cheryl and I get up on Saturday morning with no real plans for the weekend (for a change). We talked jibberjabberabout maybe going to Sausagefest in Everett, or Railroad days in Granite Falls. I also mention the boat 'estate sale' in Cle Elum (see boat sightings thread). We discuss it a bit more and decide to check it out in the morning and then get back to the West side by early afternoon. We head over the pass in the 'little car' to maybe pick up some 'small' boating items. I was also very curious to check out the (2) Powercats that will be there for sale. We did NOT take the truck because we both agreed "No More Boats!" We get there about 11 and start snoopin around. I start building a pile in the middle of his shop; chrome doodads, lights, paddles, an old hydro controller etc. I find a box of hydro hardware that I could use, but the guy wants to keep it all with the boat it goes to (an 11' hydroplane that is leaned up against the wall.) He doesn't know much about it and want's me to make an offer on the boat and box of hardware. I glance over to Cheryl and get the rolled eyes reply, "I thought we were in NO MORE BOATS mode." :donttouch: Well modes change pretty fast sometimes! I made what I thought was a reasonable but cheap offer and after thinking on it a while, he said YES! Well we had no way to get it home, and the guy was headed back to Boise Sat. evening. Sooooo after a banzai run back to Lake Stevens, emptying the truck out and loading tires, padding and straps, we found ourselves once again on the road to Cle Elum! We did do a driveby thru the Sausage festival part of town, (see, I try to be somewhat diplomatic!) but we were tired, and having a hydro poking out the back of the truck was going to make parking a challenge. It was 9:00 when we got home, 12 hours and about 500 miles later!:Bigdriving1: We spent Sunday hanging another hydro up in the shed (to free up the trailer) and modifying the trailer to fit this boat. Then mating the 2 together. I am very happy with the look of this boat. It is an older (read heavier) hull but is really solid with a nice fresh varnish job. I already have the engine for it so it's basically a rigging affair. I'm really not much of a wood boat guy, but I couldn't say no to such a pretty little thing! and since Cheryl has a hard time reining me in, I now have yet another boat project!:HandHorn1:
    Attached Files
    Gordon and Cheryl Davies

Who could blame ya?

Gordon, we all know "no more boats" is an impossible vow to keep! :GoodJob:

Nice addition to the fleet!

Comment

Score!

Very cool!... Where are you parking the Power Cats? - Ross
      Ross Henson

Comment

Well, you see, I DO know that it means No More Boats, but I get in front of some kind of Glassic and the next thing I know my eyes are Glassing over and I get confused with Need More Boats.
        I am getting better about it with Rehab
        Helmar Joe Johanesen
        1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
        1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
        Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
        2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
        http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

hydros are a girls best friend???

What a romantic Sunday drive Gordon. Did Cheryl have any idea that you were purchasing her a hydro?
          A quick duel around the course @ Lake Stevens ought to settle the question of who's cooking dinner...:GoodJob: make that

one completely jealous scientist

Comment

Cool Hyrdo

Great find! How big a motor you putting on it?

Tim
            Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Cute little quickie!....Talk about a score!

jibberjabberA year and a half ago, Cheryl and I head out on a Saturday morning to look at a Cragslist racecar in Edmonds. Turned out to be a junker. Headed back home. As we neared 128th street in Everett, we remembered the Puget Park Drive-in swap meet was happening (now closed). We decided to stop by and take a look around. We pay our dollar a peice and park inside. As we are walking toward the sellers, I notice a bright orange and silver outboard hung high on a guys ladder rack on his pickup. I can see it from 1/4 mile away! I steer Cheryl in that direction as I am very curious. As we get closer, I can see it is an old merc.:GoodJob: As I get even closer, I see that it is an old merc with a quicksilver racing tower and foot!! I figure right away that I can't afford that! So I get to the guys booth and try and play it cool. First I ask his wife what the story on the old "fishing" outboard is. She says she doesn't know anything about it but her husband will be right back. When he shows up, I ask the same question. He doesn't know anything either as he bought it at a storage auction. He does tell me there is another guy wandering around who want's it for his rubber raft,:Good one: and he might be back! :Scared2:The possible buyer and seller couldn't figure out what kind of weird prop it had on it so their deal kinda stalled (it is a test prop). I then asked the magical question, "what are you asking for it?" He said, "I'd like to get a hundred for it." I think that was the fastest time I ever said, "I'll take it!" I gave the guy all the money I had on me $60? and told him I had to run to the cash machine at the local 7/11. I made Cheryl stay there and 'guard' it while I made the run.:Bigdriving1: It barely fit in the trunk of the little car, but we got it home before anyone else let the guy know what it really was worth! It's a bone stock 1957 or so mark 25 with the Quicky tower and foot. Good compression and nice blue spark. Already went thru the lower unit and she's ready for firing! The last pic is how she looks now!
              P.S. Ross, the guy hasn't accepted my lowball offer on the powercats yet. (Cause the 'smart' wife wouldn't let me even make an offer!!):Raining:
              Attached Files
              Gordon and Cheryl Davies

Comment

Slough runner?:Bigdriving1:
                Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
                Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

Originally posted by Sammamish1, post: 14037
                  Slough runner?:Bigdriving1:
                  I agree!! This looks like the perfect slough boat... Now I guess this means I have to get a running outboard for my little shovel nose hydro...

Nice find Gordon!!!
                  Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
                  1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

A bit O the green

Added some color last evening. VeryBigSmile As far as the Slough goes, I think I will not be putting myself in a position to be pestered by the 'man' this year.:Cop1::Runaway1: What say you, Tim Matson?
                    Attached Files
                    Gordon and Cheryl Davies

Comment

Fly Low and stay off the Radar Gordo.......:Bigdriving1:
                      Didn`t remember until later he was the very same Fish+Wildlife officer had us tow away one of his Seafair Hydro BUI impounds just the year before.
                      Knew he was familiar but he wasn`t too jovial.
                      Would love to see the pics he got of us with the Telephoto camera used to document the "crime".
                      Still was worth every dollar it cost.
                      TM
                      unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
                      15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
                      SeaRay 175BR
                      Hi-Laker lapline
                      14` Trailorboat

Comment

It definitely was fun!! Carving around all those corners at speed was a blast! We should put something like the slough run together in a river or slough where there is no speed limit and/or enforcement.:Cop1: Maybe a big loop down in the Snohomish river slough network of canals? Just an idea. Seems like the law is just too aware of the Granddaddy slough run.:donttouch: I hate to go against tradition, but we shouldn't be opening ourselves up for possible fines etc. Of course we could follow the speed limit and call it the Sammamish Slough Walk!:shocked4:
                        Gordon and Cheryl Davies

Comment

Gordon,
                          A buddy told me he used to run in an event that took place from the Mouth of the Puyallop River in Tacoma, upriver to the First Bridge.
                          Winner got $500.00.
                          Bet there used to be some side-bets going both there and at the Old Slough Race we all know and love.
                          With so few of us ,it is pretty easy to find and write up at least one infraction......
                          Nobody`s Fishing anymore so the Rec Boater`s are now taking the brunt of boardings.....I got boarded the 2 nd day of the Sound Run.That makes for 2 boardings of the 6 trips I made this year.
                          My Horn on the Seafair crapped out as I showed them how well it worked.
                          We`ll need a diversion of some sort .......besides an airborne G-3 of course.
                          Still can`t believe we ran side by side down that slough at Marymoor!
                          Tim M
                          unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
                          15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
                          SeaRay 175BR
                          Hi-Laker lapline
                          14` Trailorboat

Comment

dingin away

Added some darker green to two-tone it down a bit. Started mocking up some of the hardware. I've been saving this moon gas tank. I skimmed it off of a sand rail that was in my possesion for a very short time some 20 years ago. I always wanted to build a gasser (and still doVeryBigSmile) and figured it for that. But it fits well on this little boat!
                            Attached Files
                            Gordon and Cheryl Davies

Comment

Spiffin' up the transom plates

I decided to try something I always wanted to mess with. Putting a machine finish on metal. The transom plates were the perfect opportunity. I did a little research on the web and did some practice on the back sides. I ended up with a cut down to 1.25" brown (course) scotchbrite wheel @ 300 RPM on the drill press. .5" grid lines. A little brasso, then metal wax. It takes quite a bit of time standing at the drill press, but I'm happy with the results.:HandHorn1:
                              Attached Files
                              Gordon and Cheryl Davies

Comment

Working...
                              X