Is it going to be the

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it going to be the

howdy ya"ll - Dan from new mexico - in the middle of making a 1965 VW beach buggy ( the fun buggy Allied 40-5 - with doors ) i came across this 59 or 58 larson falls flyer - we'll we will call it that - it is a boat wreck in the desert - bottom hull is rotten - stingers - tansum- so - it came with 1961 40 horse johnson - no trailer - no titles- i'm a nut !!! just a nut !!!!! so if any one can help with the how to's i would like to restore this piece of history- so please help Dan

A long and busy winter ahead.....

Dan ,
    You have to start with at least the transom and structure repair before building the rest.....usually transom after complete demo to gain access but your first goal should be price out all of the needed materials before you dig in.Rehearse and make a punchlist of to dos,then like eating an Elephant,take one bite at a time.

Also have a plan or see about getting some reg #`s on the hull......
    Don`t ask..... but I`ll just say it will add to the restoration tally if you get cited.
    See if you can find any hull ID # on it and ask a few questions at the DMV starting with,"What would it take to get tabbed and titled....."
    If never tabbed or titled,you can fab your own but would need to have a HIN number not already taken.......I`ve heard of guys winging it and just writing in enough #`s to fill their paperwork.
    The Fiberglassics used to have a ton of these all over the midwest.
    Look into whether the hull needs to be split for access to rear corners.And check the botom right in front of the motor area.No Hooking or cupping from bad trailer mounting is important to get the hull up to it`s potential.
    Get us some pics too..... you`ll get more input and we can share what knowledge you need.

TimM
    Seattle
    unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
    15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
    SeaRay 175BR
    Hi-Laker lapline
    14` Trailorboat

Comment

Is this what you have

Originally posted by Desert Dan, post: 14683
      howdy ya"ll - Dan from new mexico - in the middle of making a 1965 VW beach buggy ( the fun buggy Allied 40-5 - with doors ) i came across this 59 or 58 larson falls flyer - we'll we will call it that - it is a boat wreck in the desert - bottom hull is rotten - stingers - tansum- so - it came with 1961 40 horse johnson - no trailer - no titles- i'm a nut !!! just a nut !!!!! so if any one can help with the how to's i would like to restore this piece of history- so please help Dan
      Is this what you have ? Look under the restoration section (2nd page)and you will find "Falls Flyer Restoration " That will show where I started and where I'm at today- I have some good leads for parts and Info - post some pictures of yours and go from there ! Good Luck
      Attached Files
      Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

here are some pics

[ATTACH]8077.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]8078.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]8079.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]8080.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]8081.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]8082.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]8083.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]8084.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]8085.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]8086.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]8087.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]8088.vB[/ATTACH]
        Attached Files

Comment

Dan ,
          Cool Boat ,forgot we had one in the clubs armatta.
          I cloned the Fiberglass seatbacks for my Thunderhawk Sr. but never used them......hard to staple wood to the swooping curve ,steamed oak was on the wasted originals.Anyways they`ll make it like it was for anybody who wants to check them out.
          My Larson had the seam fully glassed together from the inside,even with nasty rubrail damage ,the shell was super strong.
          I like how the boat looks useable whether upside down or rightside up.
          Looks like you found it out in the Desert!
          Tim M
          ps you`ll want to borrow/buy an airboard to deal with the bottom and any flat panels.Serious glasswork ahead!
          Attached Files
          SeaRay 175BR
          Hi-Laker lapline
          14` Trailorboat

Comment

Tim,

Are you SURE thats the same boat as what Dan showed pictures of?

Dan, you have your work cut out for you thats for sure! :shocked4:
            John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
            Past Affairs:
            '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

John,
              I was looking at the missing Seating pcs of Dan`s Interior.....it has the same basic layout with skinny walk-thru.The seats may very well be the same shape with the wrap-a-round shape common to Larsons and even some Glasspars.I founds the Seats were the hardest part of the renovation.
              I`m fully aware the top shell is totally different but I`d not be surprised if the interior and even the Lapline bottom are pretty similar to my former 1959 T-hawk Sr. Model.
              B-Ham Rick has exactly the same hull so his info will be more helpful than my "shot in the dark".
              TimM
              SeaRay 175BR
              Hi-Laker lapline
              14` Trailorboat

Comment

Working...
              X