Dorsett San Juan 1962

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dorsett San Juan 1962

This is what I've been spending my time on and kind of left the Falls Flyer to rest. Stripped the inside and re built the wood work and new paint , carpet , did some dash work and now I'm polishing the gel coat and filling cracks and gouges . Took most of the Chrome in to get plated and I got some color matched Gel coat from Fiber lay works real good covering up the minor imperfections. I've been making a paste of "Fumed Silica" and gel coat for filling and I'm using 3m Polishing compound and 3m Finesse for the polishing, Removed all the white paint around the cabin so the boat will be one color (For Now) had the mast polished and it looks like brand new. Should not take much longer to get her back together then its back to the Flyer. :boater1:
    Attached Files
    Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Here is where it's at as of today

Here are some of the photo's of the polish and the engine . Have one big repair to fix on the rear port side , just about ready to put the final coat on that. Should be all ship shape for opening day !! That G.P.S. shot is a trip out to Patos and Sucia cruises real nice at about 23-25 but get up into low 30s when needed. Nice having an inboard that just nuts and bolts and no computers. Looks real nice on Lake Whatcom
    Attached Files
    Rick & Sarah

Comment

Wow

Looks great Rick. That engine looks clean enough to eat off of! Love the woodwork on the dash too, really made a difference.

Can you share some details on the gel coat / silica mix and how you went about getting the color-matched gel coat?

Tim

Comment

Gel Coat

I took my hatch cover down to Fiber Lay on west Marginal way in Seattle and they use a mass spectrometer just like at Lowes for house paint, it takes a few days to get it so don't expect to get it while you wait. They will ship it to you when it's done. They also sell all the Fiberglass accessories for anything you need to do. They are just down the street and over from Crosscut Hardwood so it makes a great day trip for me. Fumed Silica is just like the Christmas tree flock you used to use for fake snow. You mix the Gel coat and the Silica in a small cup add some wax and last thing is some Hardener. I have a few more patches to do and I'll take a few shots of the process and post them. After it kicks you just wet sand it down with different grits then polish with a buffer. Its really hard to tell where you have patched. Color matched Gel coat is spendy but a little goes along way. Picture of the hatch cover has some of the gel coat on it before its sanded and polished . I filled the holes where the Bow light was and also a crack in back by the hinges. Wear a mask when mixing the Silica its very dangerous - gets in your lungs - when it's mixed its safe . You can see the tub of it in the back of the picture.
        Attached Files
        Rick & Sarah

Comment

Great info

Thanks Rick, the photos of the process would be great! Really good info to have on the forum.

I have a couple of dings on the Sabrecraft I'd like to fix, I'm thinking I could cut out a small piece where it wouldn't be seen and take it in for the color match. Too bad I didn't keep the piece I cut out for the gauge panel.

Tim

Comment

filled crack and top coat

Here is the process , I grind out the crack with the dremel with a small carbide tip. Mix the Silica with the gel coat add hardener and some wax . Fill the crack when it kicks I will wet sand it down and then put a finish coat over it. Then polish and buff it out
            Attached Files
            Rick & Sarah

Comment

Thanks for posting those Rick. Pretty cool.

:BigHappy1:

Comment

Hatch cover sanded

Here are some pictures of the hatch that I filled the holes where the bow light was and had a big crack in the back section. Rolled and tipped the gel coat and wet sanded it down. Now I'll polish it with the buffer and Finesse and wax Picture with all the color is a shot of where the 3 holes for the Bow light was. I'm going to move the bow light up to the top of the cabin so I can make room on the bow for my anchor roller and Bruce Anchor
                Attached Files
                Rick & Sarah

Comment

Looking great Rick. I started gutting my 62 San Juan last weekend. Stringers and all are coming out and getting replaced. I'll need that gel coat technique soon......hopefully.

Ron
                  1967 Glasspar Seafair Sedan Outboard converted from an Inboard
                  1962 Dorsett San Juan Inboard converted from an Outboard Now conveting back to an Outboard.......We'll get it right someday

Comment

looking real good Ron

I saw your post on the Cal. Glassics. Looks like you've dove in head first ! Looks real clean underneath. It's in great shape. Really a beautiful thing when it's done and everything is brand new and better than original. Good luck and hope to see that Burgee flying soon . Bring her up north and we'll show you around. Lake Shasta is on my Bucket list ?
                    Attached Files
                    Rick & Sarah

Comment

From someone who is knee deep in a total restoration of a 404 with a loooong road ahead of me, let me just say this:

Lucky!

Lookin good!
                      John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
                      Past Affairs:
                      '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Its sure nice to see what you boys have done. Got to have Hats Off to you on your projects. More than one way to skin a cat (man, whoever came up with that) and more than one way to do restoration.

Your projects, Be Proud

Looken Real good you guys, can't say it enough. Thanks for sharing, the more the merrier.
                        Helmar Joe Johanesen
                        1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                        1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                        Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                        2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                        http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Originally posted by bham-rick, post: 15666
                          I saw your post on the Cal. Glassics. Looks like you've dove in head first ! Looks real clean underneath. It's in great shape. Really a beautiful thing when it's done and everything is brand new and better than original. Good luck and hope to see that Burgee flying soon . Bring her up north and we'll show you around. Lake Shasta is on my Bucket list ?
                          I'll be there to get that soon! Keep em cold!

Ron
                          1967 Glasspar Seafair Sedan Outboard converted from an Inboard
                          1962 Dorsett San Juan Inboard converted from an Outboard Now conveting back to an Outboard.......We'll get it right someday

Comment

Wow, sure are a lot of cool projects happening over this winter. Looking good guys!

Great info on the gelcoat repair Rick.
                            Mark
                            Silverdale, WA.
                            1956 BellBoy Express 16

Comment

Made some more progress

Got about 95% of the patching/ filling and polishing of the gel coat done. Melanie came by today and gave me a hand with some final electrical and some of the jobs that you need two people . Got the Chrome back from the chrome shop and mounted. Moved the bow light from the hatch cover to the roof of the cabin. Also got the cabin insulated and the headliner back in. Cabin is almost finished just some paint on the cabinet and some finishing touches. Got the Fuel/ water filter installed and all the nick knacks put up. Should be ready for the launch by March 1st for sure. Thanks for the hand today Melanie and I'll get you a day on that Skagit when you are ready !
                              Attached Files
                              Rick & Sarah

Comment

Working...
                              X