Wooden Boat Primer Question...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wooden Boat Primer Question...

I/we look forward to hearing interesting opinions on this question for our mutually owned sailboat renovation:
    I am looking at primer for the old plywood Pelican sailboat and want to know what to use. It is mostly stripped and will be sanded. I'm curious what "you all" suggest to use over
    1) new deck wood (one piece needs to be replaced),
    2) the stripped and sanded plywood sides (not stripped completely bare, but down to or past the original primer)
    3) the lightly sanded bottom (the paint over the fiberglassed bottom is in great shape--no cracks--I plan to lightly sand this area--does that sound like a good plan?)
    Specific Questions:
    1. Should I use the 2 part "Primekote" or the one part "Prekote" (or Pettitt Easycoat)?
    2. Should I seal the new plywood deck piece prior to priming it?
    I will probably use a one-part paint (Interlux or Petitt) to paint this. I plan to have it tinted it to whatever color we can agree on.
    Thanks for your input! I appreciate your guidance!
    --Ken (and Paul and Jay too)

Primer for plywood

Marty turned me on to Restore-It. It's epoxy resin in a very thin vehicle. Expensive and stinky. On plywood probably would require three or four coats. But it really penetrates and seals the wood. Over that, your primer.

My experience with PrimeKote is that you don't want to let it cure more than two weeks without topcoating it. That's according to information I got from the manufacturer. Primekote gets so hard that not much will adhear to it after two weeks without serious sanding.

My two cents worth.....
    Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Working...
    X