Bell Boy Bow eye

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bell Boy Bow eye

My boat came with a bow eye that I suspect wasn't original....it was mounted fairly high and had begun to pull out of the bow (fiberglass was cracking around it).

The height of it wasn't lined up with the trailer's winch, but I wasn't sure if the trailer was original to the boat. It was apparent that the disparity in angles of the winch to bow eye would create undue stress.

Looking at photos of other Bell Boys it does seem that mine was mounted too high.

The bow eye I removed has 2 threaded studs, but all the replacements I've seen have a single one. Looking at the inside of the bow I noticed a patched single hole below where the bow eye (that I removed) was...am now convinced that this lower spot was the original mounting hole, and that the factory bow eye had a single stud. This lower position should bring the angle of the winch cable into line.

Can anyone confirm? I'll try to post some photos later today.

Your bow eye is most likely a perko marine product - readily available today. look inside the cabin at the bow and you will see a glassed in block. In the center of that is the original hole for the bow ring.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by BellBoyBob, post: 1151
      Your bow eye is most likely a perko marine product - readily available today. look inside the cabin at the bow and you will see a glassed in block. In the center of that is the original hole for the bow ring.

Bob
      Here's a pic looking at the inside of the bow, you'll see the 2 spots where the eyes were. The upper has 2 holes...this is the eye I removed and glassed over. The lower appears to have been the original single stud.

If you look closely you'll see a V'eed piece of wood in the lower right corner of the photo, this was the backing plate where the upper eye's bolts came thru. SHODDY!!
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Anthony:

I am sure the lower bow ring block is the original position for the bow ring. Perhaps it was moved due to a particular configuration of the trailer winch mast? In any case, mine has the original bow ring installed by BellBoy and it seems to be doing fine. It is a single bolt design.
        What I would say about these restorations is that we should not sweat the small hardware issues in terms of bringing the boat to original showroom appearance. The lines and cosmetic appearance of the hull and deck are what gives these boats their timeless classic appeal, I think. Think of the Douglas DC-3's flying today. You see the classic look of the airplane but the instruments and control cables and a lot of other hardware have been modernized not only for pilot convenience and appeal but also for safety reasons. The same philosophy ought to be applied to these boats, IMHO. The FUN in these resto's is to restore and update these simple original systems with modern systems (GPS, marine radio, depth sounders, radar, steering systems, contained heads, 4 cycle fuel efficient outboards, etc...) that do not infringe on the era-look of the boats. All you need do is look at the magnificent restoration of Chuck Carey's Dorsett Farallon, done by Marty's Island Boat Shop. There is art to this and when we get the boat finished (if that ever REALLY happens) there is so much pride of ownership, attention from admirers and just sheer joy, the experience to me is priceless.
        As I have said in these forums, my particular boat has been in my family since it was new in 1960. There are countless personal memories associated with my BellBoy but there's no time like the present to begin creating those memories!

Best,

Bob
        Attached Files

Comment

Hi Bob, thanks for confirming my observation. Your comments regarding restorations are very valid and much appreciated. I'm kinda stuck on stupid when it comes to restoring vehicles as I had a classic American car restoration shop at one time...but as you pointed out, there are modern upgrades that could be made (disc brakes, electronic ignition, etc) without sacrificing the apparent originality.

Main reason I'm so fixated on the steering wheel/helm (and to a lesser extent the controls) is that I want to replicate the boating experience of when it was new. Granted the radio etc should/must be modern but there are ways to make this somewhat unobtrusive.

If you take a look in my folders you'll see my previous Bell Boy (also 1960) but the cabin windows meet at the center and lack the hatch between them that my current boat has...am wondering if that other boat was the shorter 265, sure would like verification of this.

Thanks for posting those brochures, that looks like the '59 style to me but I could certainly believe a running change occurred partway during the year. Below is the "real" 1960 brochure that I copied off the Fiberglassic site (when is it going to be back online?)

PS Just noticed something, the below brochure lists the boat as being 19' long, while inside the cabin I noticed "404-2101" printed IN the fiberglass on the starboard forward bow (second photo). Could that mean that my boat is actually 21'??
          Attached Files

Comment

The 404 you have now is definitely a 19' hull. I think that hull was originated in 1958. it is distinguished only by the aluminum trim strip on the back half of the hull. The "404 - 2101" numbers refer to the number of BB 404 hulls fabricated to date. Yours was the 2101st So, where are all the rest of those boats!!! In the Power Boat magazine article, it clearly shows two pictures of the BB cruising in the older configuration but since they mention the changes in the text that describe our boats, they were reviewing our exact boat. The interior pictures they took were of the 1960 404, for sure. Perhaps they did not have a spot boat for cruising pictures and used old copy from BB?
            I will tell you this: ploughing into 4' seas (or wakes) at full throttle took some balls on the part of the reviewer! I once was driving at 18 mph with the seas on Lake Ontario at 3' chop...I dove right into a troph and thought the boat was going to capsize! I don't have the nerve to try that at top speed!!
            You helm is a bit different than mine. I believe it was fabricated by BB but yours has a lip on the top portion. If you suspect it was an after market mod (although the bolt pattern looks the same to me as mine) you should take John Kelly up on his offer to use his 1959 helm box. As he said, it is the same as mine. When I get my BB out of storage in April, I will remove the helm box and fill all the holes, repaint and re-install different gauges do it will accommodate fuel gauges. When I am done, I will post an article like my windshield resto one. Filling gauge holes must be a common project for boat restoration.
            Here is a close up pic of my helm.

Best,
            Bob
            Attached Files

Comment

Just looked at your pictures of the current BB. One thing: That bow light and integrated burgee mast is definitely original! They are hard to find and expensive to buy when you can find them. I installed a BB bow rail on my boat for safety reasons because I cruise on one of the great lakes (and I like the look!) It came off of my friend, BellBoyJohn's 1960 404 Sedan. Because of this, I replaced my mint condition bow light and mast like yours and sold it locally for $80 to a guy restoring a classic wood outboard. I could have received 3 x that much on E-bay. BTW, that is where I do most of my marine shopping.
              I looked carefully as well at your helm box. I am pretty sure it is original, Anthony. you can restore, add new instruments, install a new steering helm WITHOUT losing the look. Can you take more detailed photos of the helm and cockpit area for me. I want to see whats right under the helm box. I can't make that out in your posted photo.

Best,

Bob[ATTACH]569.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]570.vB[/ATTACH]
              Attached Files

Comment

Bob, You are right on the above articles about the " original things ". On my Skagit , the windshield , gas tanks , smoke cabin windows , telaflex steering, and some other items ( GPS,DS ,Etc ) are not original, But the cabin door is ! LOL See that cover over the GPS antenna on the top deck by the windshield ? That's to keep that big mushroom dome from showing. The only reason the Bimini is on there is for when it rains, otherwise ( i don't like it when it is open...it's a " Felix thing " ) i would not have it. She might not be perfect but i like her. Best, Chuck
                Attached Files
                1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
                1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Hey Bob, below is the best picture of the helm that I have currently. Will post more pix later today.

Comment

I will try and post my helm for you. I switched to a Skagit water tank for my new helm. Good luck on whatever you decide.

[ATTACH]583.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]585.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]586.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]587.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]588.vB[/ATTACH]
                    Attached Files
                    John & Diane Kelly

Comment

Have posted many pix of my helm in my folder: http://www.classicboatclub.com/forum...php?albumid=31 The switch in the upper left was for a spot light, the one below the tach was to select which engine you wanted the tach to display.

Upper right has 2 empty holes which may have been for the navigational etc lights, no evidence/witness marks of any labels.

On the underside are several holes, the ones on the left must've been for a radio as there are holes directly above this area for what I'm assuming was a microphone bracket.

On the top of the dash area (above the cabin door in the center) are several patched holes, probably for a compass/mirror/depth or fish finder.

Comment

Working...
                      X