Pre 1972 HIN

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre 1972 HIN

I have a 1975 Apollo and a 1965 Fiberform, I think. My question is about the Fiberform. My title application and other documentation shows the HIN to be 1866661D. I find this nowhere on the hull of the boat, not on a information plate, nowhere to be found. The licensing person today said it has to be there and if it isn't I have to install it or explain it to the USCG. I guess this is where I say I need help. Is this HIN # complete or real? Is it somewhere and I'm not looking in the right spots? Thank you.
    Dave

Camano Island, WA

1975 Apollo 17' w/ 120 hp OMC sterndrive.
    1965 Fiberform 18' w/ 88 hp Evinrude outboard.

Dave ,
    The builder`s usually put them in the mold or engrave on a plate.Under the dash or in the cabin hull they are sometimes found as well.
    They are (now )supposed to hide on on a stringer or major component that is used to tell whether it was doctored or not.
    Going thru the BC Border will get this looked at closer than any other time.
    Having made mistakes on new hulls I used to stamp the hIN #`s into,I now that it has to be done with no signs of doctoring.
    CG will look at the Registration/Tab to see it isn`t from another hull,rarely lookin at HIN numbers unless a recovery or accident.
    A flashlight at night can reveal hidden #`s you didn`t know were there.....had my wife`s headlights show them one time I happened to be in the bow of a Dorsett.One neat square of un-gelcoated hull had the numbers like on the transom.
    Logic would say the upper shell would have numbers too,why maybe the dash or bowdeck would be worth investigating if the rear stringers don`t reveal anything.
    Try a good spotlight and move it around the hull with other people watching while you light up different areas from different angles.
    A pencil etching of found numbers are as good as a document at DMV.
    Good hunting.
    Tim M
    unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
    15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
    SeaRay 175BR
    Hi-Laker lapline
    14` Trailorboat

Comment

Hidden numbers

Tim et al:
      I have a similar problem. I have a '59 G3 and have been trying to get a title for it,,,,Wa DOL sure doesnt go out of their way to help!. There was no plate on the transom or anywhere and I cannot find any numbers anywhere else on the hull.....will take another close look based on your previous post. The Washington registration numbers wre still on it but it hadn't been 'tagged' for over two decades and DOL has no records, they say. i guess I could try to find a trashed g3 with title but would have nightmares that the CG or border people would stumble across a conflicting number. Suggestions?

Comment

I got the same issue on my G-3 ,prior owner didn`t bother to get title,seller used #`s on another boat and has the original hin on his paperwork.
        My centerdeck (lower centerdeck plate at floor)had Cast trim pc
        (12``x 3``) with the hin number cast into the backside....none in the hull.I had the deck off and upside down ,nothing anywhere on the shell.....
        Some obtain a boat in similar length and make (but totally gone,so you don`t end up with yet another boat) and just glass one square onto it to sorta make it kosher.Kills resale value if not with factory "codes" and such as it came.Others don`t care.....
        Some I know pull some numbers out of thin air ask shyly ask DMV "if this old boat could be titled easily?" as if someone is about to give you this boat with these numbers.....heard Hoquim has some rather helpful clerks btw.
        2 decades is pretty far out there for a claim to stick.
        Wonder if the Glasspar Guy in Cal would have some legit title options as he scraps many for trim and chrome?
        TM
        unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
        15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
        SeaRay 175BR
        Hi-Laker lapline
        14` Trailorboat

Comment

g-3

Thanks, Tim...wil explore all those options:GoodJob:

Comment

HIN Missing

Older boats sometimes do not have the HIN anymore. 50 years later and repaints and repairs the plates have dissapeared. At the time HIN was not a problem... later the regulations changed. My center deck G3 has no numbers on it. My paperwork has the number. In Oregon I never had a problem with registration. Mostly, the boats are not inspected. CG doesn't care they just want to see paperwork.

Did you ask the DOL about the numbers or just use the ones on the papers.

The only time they really want to check numbers on the boat is changing states of such! If you have the paper work for the G3 use the numbers there.
            The Glaspar g3 owners group forum know where to look and what the numbers should be.
            http://forums.fiberglassics.com/g3/default.asp

last ditch ask for a rebuilt or slavage type title or restoration or antique title.

Good luck!!

Comment

Working...
            X