Evinrude Simplex controls

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evinrude Simplex controls

Below are some pix of the controls that came with my boat. I have a pair of matching 1960 Lark II 40 horse motors, although only one is installed at the moment. Looking at the controls it appears that there are unused slots for what I assume to be secondary levers for a dual motor installation...is this correct? I've heard of this but have never seen any.

If this should be the case, can I add these levers (and whatever internal bits)? Keeping my options open about running twin engines :eek:

Have included a photo of an extra set of electric control boxes, this appears to be a voltage regulator and a starter solenoid, yes?

Lastly, can someone identify what that bellcrank linkage thing is for? I'm thinking perhaps steering??? Thanks!
    Attached Files

Simplex

I have a set of those, taken apart now, which came on my '55 16' Express. I had guessed that the slots were to reposition the levers when the thiing was reversed for the other side of the boat.

Comment

Well, there are holes for the cables on either end which would permit installation on either side of the boat but I'm convinced the additional slots are for running twin engines unless someone shows me otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by BB404, post: 1167
        Below are some pix of the controls that came with my boat. I have a pair of matching 1960 Lark II 40 horse motors, although only one is installed at the moment. Looking at the controls it appears that there are unused slots for what I assume to be secondary levers for a dual motor installation...is this correct? I've heard of this but have never seen any.

I have only seen them were you can bolt two of them side by side.

If this should be the case, can I add these levers (and whatever internal bits)? Keeping my options open about running twin engines :eek:

Have included a photo of an extra set of electric control boxes, this appears to be a voltage regulator and a starter solenoid, yes?

Yes

Lastly, can someone identify what that bellcrank linkage thing is for? I'm thinking perhaps steering??? Thanks!
        Yep, steering bellcrank.
        Helmar Joe Johanesen
        1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
        1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
        Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
        2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
        http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Thanks Helmar (or do you go by Joe?). When you say you've seen these controls side by side do you mean stacked (bolted) together? Can't quite see how that would work out, guess I just ain't understanding what you mean.

Comment

Originally posted by BB404, post: 1255
            Thanks Helmar (or do you go by Joe?). When you say you've seen these controls side by side do you mean stacked (bolted) together? Can't quite see how that would work out, guess I just ain't understanding what you mean.
            Makes no difference on the name as its Helmar Joseph. Joe is just easer on people is all.
            That would be side by side bolted together so one hand could push both engine levers forward together. Kind of like an airplane controls.
            Looked pretty skookum too

I have also seen this with twin Merc controllers as well.
            Helmar Joe Johanesen
            1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
            1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
            Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
            2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
            http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Dual Controls

I have an original set of dual simplex controls for Evinrude - yes, the slots are for additional handles that have different shape/bends so they miss each other.

Keep an eye out for these, they were very common in the 50's as nearly everyone ran twins.

Have fun!

Dick

Comment

AHA! My powers of observation/deduction were correct...for once (it had to eventually happen LOL)

Comment

Was just offered this set of slightly newer controls with twin throttles but lacking shifters. Guess you had to keep going forward completely around the world in order to "back up"
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X