Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fiberform Stripping

Hey all,
    Stan Davis brought by a well-used hull for some painting and sprucing up.
    Having helped soil this Fiberform while it was owned by one of my childhood friend`s down near Redondo,it makes for some good memories as I remember landing fish in it.
    Like Deja Vue all over again as I once had this transom sanded and prepped for glass repair,only to have my buddy call the next morning to say he "Finished it" and had it all painted up.Not this time.....
    Say goodbye to the Blu!
    TM
    Attached Files
    unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
    15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
    SeaRay 175BR
    Hi-Laker lapline
    14` Trailorboat

Love it

I'm just finishing up a very enjoyable restoration project, of a sister to your boat. Mine is a 16 footer (72' Fiberform), guessing yours is 17 or 18, several years newer. I see some similarities; like the two lower mounting bolts for the outboard. The bottom of the splashwell prevents using bolts that are inserted from the outside. I see yours has them inserted from the inside, and probably permanently fixed (question ?). I have raised my transom from 15 to 20 inch, and was pondering what to do for the lower bolts. I purchase some 1/2" stainless T-nuts, and was thinking of going with that. Set them into the inside of the plywood transom with epoxy. Does your arrangement look okay? Are they special bolts, carriage, (?)

The structure of your boat along the chines is the same as mine, Perko zinc hardware too. Looks like fun, really! Nice outboard

Brian Vickers
    Brian Vickers
    Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

Originally posted by BrianVic, post: 17976
      Mine is a 16 footer (72' Fiberform), guessing yours is 17 or 18, several years newer.
      Brian Vickers
      It's a '77 and 15 feet. It's more old boat than classic, but it suits my needs. Those zinc cleats are pretty new, but probably won't last very long. I use it mostly in salt water.

Comment

Alt.bolt hole mounting

Brian ,
        This transom had the lower bolts re-mounted once as it had a bigger motor that was a 3 cyl.OMC.The stock bolts with plates to secure them were used on the lowest ones.
        The transom brackets of these brackets do have an optional hole that is commonly used when rigging to a Boston Whaler where the splashwell covers the access to these holes.
        The alternative is to use the threaded holes that are higher than the normal low ones and maybe 4 inches down from the upper ones.
        These holes have to be perfectly spaced and perpindicular to the mount surface or the bolts will cross -thread as you try to enter the holes.
        Bolt length needs to be perfect so washers and caulk compress and go tight without bottoming out.Test fit bolt on motor ,then add thickness of transom/washer.A tap to clean that hole up is always a good plan.
        Doing it while Caulking is always a mess....practice dry once then go for it.
        1 st day with no morning Dew! ,Time to paint!
        TM
        SeaRay 175BR
        Hi-Laker lapline
        14` Trailorboat

Comment

Thanks Tim

I appreciate your response. I forgot about the holes tapped in the engine transom bracket. Good idea, limiting though. Still might use the 304 Stainless Steel 1/2" T-Nuts I purchased. Then I will have standard bolt pattern, which will allow use of all four hole positions to adjust motor height. Thanks again

PS - how did the painting go? You had perfect weather, except Sunday

Brian Vickers
          Brian Vickers
          Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

Darth Vader`s Boat

Been busy......found some ugliness beneath the loose carpet that delayed the painting.Got the bottom done as the rain returned.
            I used grey paint as the basecoat to shield the Blu from whatever we went with on top......like Black.Perfection seems to stick better to itself than anything including primer.
            Want to know how flexible this paint is?
            I used leftovers on the roller to re-coat the older nose section of my foam-collered SAFE boat (which is closed cell foam with Rhino Liner coating it).Next morning it is dry and can be compressed with no cracking!
            The Black went on pretty good ,but was hard to see overlap so I used portable lighting and wore white to highlight the gloss as I went.
            One more wet-sand session and final coat may come with our next dose of Sun.
            Darth Vader came by wanting his boat back!
            TM
            Attached Files
            SeaRay 175BR
            Hi-Laker lapline
            14` Trailorboat

Comment

Final push!

Been working in between our cool summer rain sessions.Took two coats over a coat off Grey.:BigHappy1:
              Had to use a real Bristle brush over the Foam as the hull was concave or convex on every surface.
              A pair of White Rally stripes would look good but Stan and Carol must have a SanJuan Business venture involving a darkened hull.....
              Someday I`ll own a real garage instead of "Jungle Painting".
              Thank God for paint "Accelerator".
              TM
              Attached Files
              SeaRay 175BR
              Hi-Laker lapline
              14` Trailorboat

Comment

Tim that's nothing short of gorgeous!!!
                There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Color Coordinated

It didn't occur to me until I saw the pictures, but now the boat matches the motor.

Comment

But wait ,there`s more!
                    Stan now has a motor cover and Hoody for his fishfinder.
                    The Diamond plate step will really set this baby off!
                    Running out of things to install,last window about to be set.
                    A guy here the other day now wants dark green rolled onto his
                    36` Trawler when hauled out at Delta Marine next Fall.
                    TM
                    Attached Files
                    SeaRay 175BR
                    Hi-Laker lapline
                    14` Trailorboat

Comment

Super speedy worker

Tim,
                      I'm feeling like a boat restoration slug compared to your beautiful, fast pace work. Go catch some crabs for cripes sakes!! The boat really looks good in black, and makes it look very contemporary for sure.

Brian Vickers
                      Brian Vickers
                      Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

Working...
                      X