A very good day

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A very good day

This has been long coming but its running again.

Long story made short is that I had a lot of bugs to work out but did so.
    It would just get up on plain and then start bogging down, then a blown head gasket, water in the oil, another head, rebuilt exhaust down spout.
    Really, this is the short version.

So today, we launched at a Very low tide at the Quilcene marina around 10:30 and headed down to Pleasant harbor. Went into Pleasant harbor and found a fuel dock. I had 18 gallons on board with another 9 gallons as back up.
    I had told John Nelson that the only way I would gain trust in this again was to take her down the Hood Canal and back. We had the fuel and the time, the engine was running good so we headed to Hoodsport.

I only ran this up to about 16mph which was just about 3000 rpms and held her at that speed for the trip down.
    Found it was a tad farther than we were thinking but made it with plenty of time to spare.
    We checked the fuel and found we only used about 9 gallons. We put in the other 9 gallons which filled the tank back up and headed back.

It took us about 4 plus hours to get back to Quilcene as we went into Seabeck on the return trip.
    We had it up to 3000 RPM's for that whole 4 plus hours with No problems.

I think she is ready for an event again.
    Attached Files
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Congratulations Joe!!! I know it was a head scratcher and a struggle to finally get it solved.

Melanie
    1958 Skagit 20 Offshore hardtop cruiser "Kanigo"

Comment

yeah, congrats!

That must have felt awesome, after all that! It will be be great to see you guys back on the water.

Comment

Thank you !
        Also thanks to those that would not let me quit on it. That would be the advice from folks, parts from Marty and John Nelson to start.

John Nelson has been coming over and after hearing the long drawn out story on why she was still setting, jumped in and was the major encouragement to keep me going.
        After that last outing with loosing the head gasket yet again, with oil in the crank case and More over heating I was pretty discouraged about the whole thing.

The trip from Quilcene marina down to Pleasant Harbor, to Hoodsport, back to Seabeck and then to the Quilcene marina, 18 gallons.:BigHappy1:
        Attached Files
        Helmar Joe Johanesen
        1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
        1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
        Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
        2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
        http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Hey Joe ! Glad to see you got that baby in the waters again. Congratulations !! Best,Chuck
          1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
          1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Working...
          X