Adhesive question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adhesive question

I buddy of mine has a 14' Boston Whaler.

Some of the stainless hand rails have worked themselves out of the gunnels. They were attached by screws through the fiberglass and into mollys that were sunk into the foam that is right behind the gunnel fiberglass.

I was looking at it tonight and was trying to come up with a good way to re-attach the screws into the fiberglass and foam. I was thinking that I could inject some sort of adhesive into the holes, re-insert the mollys and screw it down. I've used 5200 before, but I'm thinking that it might be a bit too flexable. Does anyone have a better solution?

Thanks,

Karl
    17' Johnson Runabout (1964) Completed
    18' GlassCraft Imperial (1959) Done!
    19' Campion Bowrider (1999) Great family ski/tow boat
    25' Skagit (1960) Two of them. What am I thinking?
    14' Axtell Aquacraft (1950ish)
    14' Stilleto

Karl ,
    I did the same job on a Whaler Montauk with the side rails pulled free and cracks everywhere near screws.After drying well,I syringed these with thickened epoxy but used dummy screws with bolt heads to establish the threads again.Finish screws may strip if it dries fully,even toothpicks will work.
    These then get pulled after drying until semi-cured.
    Any holes that appeared to still have voids were then pumped with the 5200 or Sikaflex LOT-291 slow as it will form a flexible plug ,but is trapped behind the epoxy ring.
    Bigger holes or voids can have wetted glass stuffed into them if you think it will need it.
    Have fun .......loved your Yellow Boat at Opening Day btw......Big Fins!
    Tim M
    unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
    15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
    SeaRay 175BR
    Hi-Laker lapline
    14` Trailorboat

Comment

Working...
    X