• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New restore

[ATTACH]10377.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]10378.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]10379.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]10380.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]10381.vB[/ATTACH] I just picked this up for free and would like to see if anyone recognizes the model and or manufacturer. Title says: 1960 14' 4" ClassicBoat/Santa Ana, Calif. (see emblem pic) Also has emblem on the dash that says " Hustler". I would like to restore to original condition so would love to see any pics of this model so I know where to start.
    I've never restored a boat before so I'll be learning as I go. Any, and I mean ANY help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Bruce
    Attached Files

Did you see this, might have just been added for effect?,lol

http://www.fiberglassics.com/library/Hustler
    Bill's Dry Dock, in Smoggy LA!
    3 CD, G3's. 2 '60's and a '59
    1 '63 Seafair; Life raft,Ha!

Comment

Sure looks like a Trailorboat from Calif I did two years back,same side and gunnels,dash super close too.It had a patchwork floor I shoveled out and later found out was a balsa core with no stringers,just a layer of 1`` thick ,ultra -light wood that was glued to the outer skin,then clothed lightly....which sure came out easily.Funny thing was ,the same tool used to install it worked great cutting it out by hand.
      I found some stuff at Fiberlay in 2`x4`x3/4 ``thick sheets with pre-cut cubes glued to a mash of glass on one side.You cut it with a razor and could bevel it with any sander or rasp.
      It was called "Baltek" and ran $60 or so each of the 4 sheets.
      I had to do the center section in 2` chunks so I could stand in the hull without it moving.Then the rear and front were pieced in and the whole hull stiffened up with maybe 1-2 gallons of Resin doing the whole she-bang.I used Silaca and Adhesive filler to apply it,then wetted it out as two cloth layers went on.
      I did cut that splashwell out to do the transom work so it wasn`t an easy one to do.
      Now if only doing the Balsa floors ,this could be easier than cutting new stringers and fitting new floors which other makes of boats use with a screwed/Glued down floor on top of the basic stringers like most boats are built with.
      Do make sure Transom is not full of Peanut Butter or mush.Drill holes if needed,drain and dry if you truly want to see what`s there.
      I spent $50 on this similar looking boat and spent $3-400 in supplies.
      Keep asking if you get the need to get it back into shape.
      And realize some dealers had deals where they re-badged other`s hulls to look like their own work.Or they got "splashed " and copied or just shared by the maker."Boats In the Bellfry" had a good list/pics of older hulls/makers and stuff you may find of interest.
      Tim M
      Seattle
      unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
      15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
      SeaRay 175BR
      Hi-Laker lapline
      14` Trailorboat

Comment

Working...
      X