1961 Glasspar Seafair transom wobble

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1961 Glasspar Seafair transom wobble

I have a 1961 Seafair Phaeton but the transom probably is the same as the other Sea Fair line. The boat looks like it was always stored indoors. No rot can be found anywhere on the transom. The original motor is a 1960s Mercury 700. I obtained a 1978 Mercury 900 over the weekend and when we placed it on the transom and bolted it on there was a noticeable wobble in the transom if the motor was pushed somewhat. There are no noticeable cracks anywhere in the transom fiberglass or splashwell and as noted no rot. The Mercury 900 does not weigh much more than the 700. If there was a wobble with the 700 it was not noticed. I have not run either engine on the boat so we don't yet know what happens on the water.

Has anyone had a similar experience with any of the Glasspar Seafairs? If so, what transom modifications did you make to reduce the wobble? Did it work?
    If you simply lived with the wobble did anything get worse?
    Attached Files
    Bruce H. Drake
    1956 Bell Boy Express 21'
    1957 Norseman 19' woodie
    1961 Glasspar Seafair Phaeton 17'
    1957 Lyman Runabout 13' woodie

Hi Bruce, the motor well is very important to the strength of the transom I was told by a boat expert, you might check to make sure the motor well is bolted in well, as the transom gets much of its support from the top deck and motor well?. I dont have a motor well so I will be making a metal brace system that connects to the top deck. My Seafair transom was raised to 25" and someone had put a wood brace across the inside of transom to each side, It was bolted with 4-6 bolts through the transom, not a great way to do it I think, just a patch job. They added a steel corner brace on each side that has pulled in the side walls a bit so they will go. I would try and see if the motor mount is moving or pushing in at the bottom outside as you pull the top of the motor to the rear, (you might need a straight edge from top to bottom of transom to see if it deforms at all)? If so there could be rot in the middle of transom from a leak in the motor mounting bolts. Thats how one of my g3's is and you can see the fiberglass deform as it rocks back and forth, think my MK78 moves about 1 1/2"-2" at the top,LOL Bill
    ps. the 700 looks in good shape Bruce your Seafair looks original, could you get me the measurement of the rear tow eyes, from side and bottom of closest edge to on center of eye measured from outside. Mine have been moved and both are different want it right when redoing the transom... Thanks Bill
    Attached Files
    Bill's Dry Dock, in Smoggy LA!
    3 CD, G3's. 2 '60's and a '59
    1 '63 Seafair; Life raft,Ha!

Comment

Hey Bill,
      Noticed you wanted the measurements on the Transom tie-downs.....
      Not sure if these were left for dealers to sell and fit or if they were really stock items.
      Mine had none as they used the Vinyl coated bent metal straps that fit over the transom top.......but is also 1959.
      Makes it hard for the diver to lash to it when you need to raise one from the depths.
      TM
      ps ,my rear well was pretty loose but tightened up with some newer hardwood backing blocks so things could be cinched up tighter.I bleached everything until the spotting and black went away,then epoxied a new cloth skin over the transom face.
      unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
      15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
      SeaRay 175BR
      Hi-Laker lapline
      14` Trailorboat

Comment

Bruce;
        Glasspar's are notorious for bad transoms. Ir the motor is bolted solid, check carefully for rot. I have never seen a Glasspar with a very good transom.
        ChuckB.
        "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." K. Grahame "The Wind in the Willows"

Comment

Thanks for input

Marty is going to look over the transom early next week. I will have him get Bill measurements on the stern hardware placement. I believe everything on the boat is in its original spot including it appears the traditional weak transom.

It would be nice if someone created a master list of strengths/weaknesses of the main vintage boat builders designs/construction methods.
          Bruce H. Drake
          1957 Norseman 19' woodie

Comment

Originally posted by BruceDrake, post: 18531
            Marty is going to look over the transom early next week. I will have him get Bill measurements on the stern hardware placement. I believe everything on the boat is in its original spot including it appears the traditional weak transom.

It would be nice if someone created a master list of strengths/weaknesses of the main vintage boat builders designs/construction methods.
            Thanks Bruce, From what Tim says maybe the tie downs weren't factory on the early ones? I suspect they were later just like the deck drain holes and fiberglass sringers late in '62. B..

Comment

G3Bill - transom eye picture

I have the picture of the location and will get measurements a second time and remember where I wrote them down....
              Attached Files
              Bruce H. Drake
              1957 Norseman 19' woodie

Comment

Originally posted by BruceDrake, post: 18680
                I have the picture of the location and will get measurements a second time and remember where I wrote them down....
                LOL Bruce, thanks for remembering at all No rush and I set the options to get notified of replys which is a nice feature... Too many transom holes to patch, this will be fun.
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X