1961 Skagit 18' convertible

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1961 Skagit 18' convertible

I hope to be checking out a 1961 Skagit 18' convertible this week. I have three questions:
    Stringers
    I have been told that some of the 1961 Seafairs had a honeycomb glass stringer system and others were lengthwise wood encased with fiberglass.
    a. Has anyone had experience with the stringer system on 1960 or 1961 models of the 18 and how can you spot the difference short of tearing everything up?

Gas tanks
    There is no visible gas tank and no evidence of side-tanks but here are fill ports on the sidedeck midway.
    b. Tanks may be under the seats or under the floor. Anyone had experience with this? What type of material would the tanks been made of in 1961 or are they all toast with ethanol these days? How many gallons are they likely to hold?

Glitches
    Are there any glitches you know about in Seafairs that might not be easy to spot?

Any input is welcome.
    Bruce H. Drake
    1956 Bell Boy Express 21'
    1957 Norseman 19' woodie
    1961 Glasspar Seafair Phaeton 17'
    1957 Lyman Runabout 13' woodie

Bruce, if you don't get any answers here, try the Glasspar Owners Assoc. at http://www.classicglasspars.com/

Someone on there was talking gas tanks in the last couple months. I believe they were the saddle tanks though. As far as the stringers, I know that some years have the fiberglass stringers, don't remember which year they started. Never heard of the honeycomb in Seafair's.
    Steve Kiesel
    1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Honeycomb

Steve
      Honeycomb is probably a vague term. Marty said he saw both patterns some time in the past. I believe what he meant was that stringers were both length wise and beam wise. I don't know the spacing. I'll check the Skagit site.
      Bruce H. Drake
      1957 Norseman 19' woodie

Comment

I am a little confused since you talk of both a seafair and a Skagit 18. The 60 and 61 Skagit is the same hull as the 17ft Skagit in earlier years. They just measured it differently to make it a foot longer. I don't know of any Skagit with wood stringers, but the later models seem to have built lighter so look for a hook in the bottom. If the bottom is straight it should be good to go. Check out the transom carefully. Clint

Comment

oops on Seafair..

Question pertains to Skagit 18 (I had been thinking about different issues on my Seafair and names got messed up).
          According to Fiberglassics library data sheet the 1960-61 18s and 17s were the same at 16'11'. But the earlier models of 17s were all listed at 860 pounds or lighter. The 60-61 models were listed as 1100 pounds so it is not clear if they were lighter or is some parts were less robust.
          Bruce H. Drake
          1957 Norseman 19' woodie

Comment

Bruce ,
            On Ken Cook`s 20`Tyee I had luck using the old built-in Fuel tanks into Bilge sumps/storage areas.
            Being the lowest point in the hull with no drains anywhere ,it made sense to drain deckwater to where a pump can deal with it.
            A deck fill could also be for water as that hull had a sink assy on one side.
            The stringers I saw were 2x6s or 8s glassed over fully but no drains or limbar holes for water to make it to the rear,where there was no drain.
            I foamed between the stringers(at rear where visible) and made it level where possible,then left two low spots with a drain in one ,another Bilge pump in the other.
            Most stringers set-ups are the same.A Cross bulkhead and dam to form the hull`s Vee near driver,with stringers connecting to the transom at roughly
            8-10`long.We all use the same lumber,some just pay more for longer pcs.
            I`m pretty sure there was a Beam type Keel under there too,which made the rear sorta a 2 part sump.
            The bottom is pretty stout so, if hooked as Clint said,it won`t be easy to overcome.
            TM
            unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
            15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
            SeaRay 175BR
            Hi-Laker lapline
            14` Trailorboat

Comment

Skagit 18

I looked all over the boat this morning and saw no evidence of fuel or water tanks. They certainly were not in the molded back to back seats. Might have been under the rear floor. There were two "fuel" fillers and two vent holes that looked original so it is puzzeling. They replaced the rear floor at one point so it could have been rot or it could have been tanks. Who knows.
              Hull does seem lighter in construction than the 1958 Offshore that Chuck is now cruising around on.
              With back to back original seats and no rear seat there is a lot or room to move about and lots of space under the splashwell.
              Attached Files
              Bruce H. Drake
              1957 Norseman 19' woodie

Comment

Working...
              X