No announcement yet.

Uniflite Resto

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks good Joe, hope you can make it to Mason!

Comment

Hey Joe, that's looking really nice! So what are the plans for power? You had talked about twin Bearcats at one time. If you decide to do that I have a portside Safety Mate control that I'm not using to make up your duel controls.
      Dick Johnson
      1989 16ft Sylvan (Bought it New)
      '57 Evinrude 18hp
      '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
      '72 Johnson 6hp
      '61 Homelite 55 Shortshaft
      '65 Homelite 55
      '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
      '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

The plans right now is to just put the Bearcat on the back and run her with that. No need to go fast as the hull won't allow it anyway.

I am not sure she would carry two of them with out dipping the tail end in the water as she is pretty low in the water.
        Not real fond of how big the splashwell bucket is. I would bet that sucker could hold 30 gallons of water..

If I ever have to split that boat apart or cut the tail end open to replace the transom, you can sure bet that I will make that splashwell bucket MUCH smaller for sure. A standard 6 gallon red fuel tank will not slip up under it either.

Depending how much I like this boat, I might put the fuel tanks up by the bulkhead in a box to help elevate you feet off the floor.

Right now I am on a crunch time to get Mark Maguires Skagit 17 and the Uniflite ready for the Mason event.
        Helmar Joe Johanesen
        1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
        1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
        Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
        2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
        http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Joe, U mention the fuel tanks up by the bulkhead. Here's another idea i did on a few of my boats. Only one so far on Bainbridge as it is only a 12 gal strap down back up tank ( it was left over from the G-3, Farallon ) to the 28 gal in the stern. The Rosario has both up at the bulkhead. Chuck
          Attached Files
          1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
          1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

That looks like one of those red tanks without a grounding lug on it. Hope not.

I have a 12 gallon tank but I can't lift it in so I have to fill that with another plastic 5 gallon jerry tank that I fill, On the ground at the gas station.

I seen this thing on Youtube were a fellow was filling one of the portable boat tanks from the gas pump at a gas station and a static spark started a fire.
            He had enough time to get out of the boat and run as it caught the whole gas station on fire.

That is why they tell you at the gas station, Take the tank out and fill it on the ground.

Not saying you don't mind you, it just came to mine when I seen that picture of red tank.

All most of what they call "under the deck" tanks will have fuel gauges and a grounding tab that I use when wiring up boats.

Thats the end of my public announcement :BigWink1:
            Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Joe, Did you get my e-mail ? My 12 gal above floor tank is plastic mfg by Tempo & Moeller. The one in the Skagit 20 ( 28 Gal) is another Tempo. Are you talking about Metal red gas tanks? It sounds like you are doing the same thing with your 5 gallon plastic as what i'am doing with my 28 gal plastic tank and 12 gal plastic except mine are already on the floor in the boat so i don't have to fill it again. Are your tanks metal style the boat ? Just trying to understand. Best,Chuck
              Attached Files
              1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
              1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Originally posted by chuckcarey, post: 19222
                Joe, Did you get my e-mail ? My 12 gal above floor tank is plastic mfg by Tempo & Moeller. The one in the Skagit 20 ( 28 Gal) is another Tempo. Are you talking about Metal red gas tanks? It sounds like you are doing the same thing with your 5 gallon plastic as what i'am doing with my 28 gal plastic tank and 12 gal plastic except mine are already on the floor in the boat so i don't have to fill it again. Are your tanks metal style the boat ? Just trying to understand. Best,Chuck
                Hey Chuck.
                I just replied to your Email.
                Its simple. If your fuel tanks IN the boat are Not grounded to the electrical system, don't put a gas station nozzle in them. Static electricity can cause a fire.
                Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

More Progress on the Uniflite.

I really hate doing windows, But, it had to be done..

Anyway, here is more progress on the Uniflite....
                  No time to buff it out, time to get the motor hung on it, controls etc.
                  Attached Files
                  Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Very impressed

Really looks great Helmar. You make it look easy. Looks like you have a nice work building too.
                    Brian Vickers
                    Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

Originally posted by BrianVic, post: 19382
                      Really looks great Helmar. You make it look easy. Looks like you have a nice work building too.
                      Thanks Brian.
                      Are you going to be at the Mason event ?
                      Out of all of our events, this is the one that we try to get as many folks to attend, With or Without a boat as there will be Plenty of rides.:boater1:
                      Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

More progress today on the Uniflite.

Tried to load her up on the dual axle calkins trailer but found its going to take a Lot of adjusting. The side bunks both need to come inboard.

So, she when back on the single axle calkins. I had one bent pipe that held one of the rear rollers so stuck the rose bud torch on the pipe and with the army jack and a logging chain, all fixed.
                        Just not real fond of how wide this trailer is but will do.

Next is to get the motor hooked up, controls and at least a bilge pump wired in for Mason.
                        Attached Files
                        Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Awesome! Can't wait to see her in the water this weekend!

Comment

Mason Lake

Hi Helmar,
                            I am planning to attend Mason Lake with my boat, but have a potential work related conflict that might de-rail my plans, hopefully not.

See you there.
                            Brian Vickers
                            Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

Progress on the Uniflite 17

Well, as most of you that were at the Mason event ( I think its our best event setup for a large group ) I am sure you seen it.
                              The trials went find, the Bearcat was running at its best thanks to John Nelson as John and I went thought it.
                              It would jump right up on plain and scoot out to about 27+ mph at 4200 rpms.

Its back in the shop now to get finished. It needs inside the cabin done as well as some work in the cockpit area.

I guess I can say I was Very pleased with how she ran out
                              Attached Files
                              Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Joe that is one fine looking Uniflite. I was just down by their old shop in Bellingham yesterday. Brought back a lot of good memories. Seems to me I just read an obit for Art Nordtvedt. Hope I'm not starting a rumor but read something about him recently and that is how I recall it.
                                There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Working...
                                X