1961 Dorsett Catalina Restoration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1961 Dorsett Catalina Restoration

My project boat has come a long way in the last year. I know some members of the club looked at this boat when it was posted on Craig’s list and thought it was a lost cause (they were right!). But it was two miles from home and the seller was motivated, I didn't know any better and I am sucker for such lost causes. So after stripping at least 3 previous paint jobs, rebuilding the stringers, floor, transom and bulkhead, foaming the floor, epoxy barrier coat 3 coats of primer, 3 finish coats, and repair and repainting of the trailer! I am guessing I am half way there! Just need to start cleaning repairing and reinstalling everything I have taken off, find the few parts I am missing and then an engine and steering and I will be on the water! (Next year) So enjoy, it has been a lot of work but it is a fun diversion and this site is inspirational. Good boating to all.
    Attached Files

Wow, it sure doesn't look like a lost cause now! Love the colors, they work well with that boat. Thanks for sharing the photos, we all love to see the in-progress shots. I look forward to seeing her in the water.

Tim

Comment

Thanks for sharing

M,
      Very nice project you have going on, well along the path to the boat ramp. Love the steering wheel!!! What is your plan for power? Please keep us posted.
      Brian Vickers
      Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

Dorsett Catalina

Nice Job Matt ! Always nice to see another Dorsett come back to life. Looks like you are doing a great job and thanks for all the progress pictures. It's always nice to see what it looks like under the floor boards and see the stringer configurations - Bulkheads Etc. Thanks for sharing Hope to see you out with us next spring. :cool1:
        Attached Files
        Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

What is it you are missing or looking for?

Don't let reality ruin your day!

Comment

Missing Parts

Thank you for all of the positive comments, I will try and post more pictures as I progress.
            I spent the evening painting on the cockpit. The one key item I am missing is the port side opening window outside aluminum frame. So if anyone has any ideas of where to get a frame (or make a frame ?) I am all would be very appreciative.
            Thanks Matt

Comment

Enjoyed meeting Matt yesterday after he responded to a C/L parts ad. Sounds like he is doing a top shelf job getting the family Dorsett ready to go.

Looking forward to seeing more progress shots of his red beauty...G

Comment

Outstanding

Matt,
                Outstanding work on a worthy cause. Your "gutted hull" picture looks almost the same as mine.

I have a general question for all the Dorsett owners. The 1959 Catalina has the flat bullnose (and other unique design features). The 1962 had the visor over the windows. The 1963 does not have the bullet on the side and is painted above and below the rub rail. Is there any difference between the 1960 and 1961?

Thanks,
                Kski

Comment

Catalina 60 and 61 differences

KSKI
                  You asked about the differences between a 60 and a 61. I spent time studying the Dorsett Catalina advertisements on the fiberclassics web page. There are subtle differences in the pictures. The 1960 Catalina has the stern light post mounted on centerline, the 1961 is mounted on the starboard side. The cabin door in the 1960 is a bifold, the 1961 appear to be slightly different shape and folds down as a table. There are many more knowable people than me, but these are the differences that helped me.
                  http://www.fiberglassics.com/library/Dorsett

Comment

Matt,
                    Good eye. I looked at those old adds and saw nothing. The introduction of the table/door in 1961 is probably the big change. I know it continued into the 1962 and 1963 models. Running light and their location may have been options.
                    Ken (Kski)

Comment

Hey Matt, how is that Catalina project coming along??

Comment

Boy, all of those Dorsetts are looking pretty sweet.
                        Mine, well, she is in need of Way more than I can throw at her right now.
                        Too many other projects in front of it.
                        Still trying to finish my little Uniflite.

Next up is finishing the 20 Skagit Offshore.

Then the Skagit Skimaster.

Then the Bell Boy

And, if I have anything left in me, the Dorsett, which like the bell boy, needs Everything.

Some times I wonder about myself Screwy1
                        Attached Files
                        Helmar Joe Johanesen
                        1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                        1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                        Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                        2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                        http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Progress!

The project continues. I have a streering system and Bearcat 55 hp 4 stroke motor thanks to Greg Lamb! I am still in the process of installing the interior and wiring and there a number of details to go, but she is looking more like a boat all the time.
                          Attached Files

Comment

A few more photos

Here is my new motor collection coming home, and the mounted outboard. So many little projects to finish but it is getting closer to the water all of the time!
                            Attached Files

Comment

Looking Good Matt !

Looking real nice Matt - Love those Bearcats - hope to see you up this way this summer you can take that bad boy on Lake Whatcom no ban on 4 strokes . :Skipper1:
                              Attached Files
                              Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

Working...
                              X