changing to a push pull steering system for port steering

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• changing to a push pull steering system for port steering

I have a PORT side steering boat with a cable system, want to chnge to a push pull modern system. Do they make a system that works backwards?
    1963 Fiber Form Cuddy***
    1960 Hi Laker 15'**
    1957 Skagit 20 express*
    1955 uniflight 16' sportboat*
    *= previous completed projects
    **=finished and still using
    ***= in progress

I believe all you have to do is install the helm upside down... Altough Tim Mattson has first hand knowledge of how you make a steering system work backwards... Sorry Tim...
    Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
    1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Bob,
      T-flex may only let you enter the helm one way while a U-flex rotary helm can take the cable in either the upper or lower one.The "spigots" will be same on both while the T-flex has only one ready for the the cable entering.
      If entering the motor from the same side as the steering,you are really just putting the drag link to the other side when compared to standard right-hand drive installs.
      I had to run a 19-20` cable to the RH side of a Skagit Tyee while it only needed 13` or so if ran the LH side and entering opposite.
      Take the shortest route but have the helm that let`s choose from two holes.
      These cables and helms do interchange,btw,but bought as a system,you get a better deal and all new fasteners.Usually lose your old wheel unless it has a tapered center.
      Flipping over (or rotating) the helm can change direction it functions as well.
      No I`m confused.......like when I ran my G-3 with backwards rideguide rack....down the Slough no less.
      TM
      ps Thanx Brian,too slow on my typing!
      unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
      15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
      SeaRay 175BR
      Hi-Laker lapline
      14` Trailorboat

Comment

Working...
      X