Dorestt Farallon Deconstruction

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dorestt Farallon Deconstruction

Well I woke up this morning after poking around the new project yesterday. Found some rot by way of my foot falling into the bilge area... And rot under the sink... So after two pots of coffee, cussing, wondering why I bought this, followed by more cussing (my neighbors must love me). I started to delicately tear out the interior and floor. The people who owned this boat sure liked sheet rock screws, all three types (phillips, square head and those pesky star ones). So that being said here are some really bad pictures I had to use my phone because my camera is shot...

As for the last few pictures, this was the "electrical" and the helm.. I am not sure if speaker wire and electrical tape are marine grade, but I am surprised this boat never caught on fire...

Josh
    Attached Files

Josh, I see you are already wondering why you bought the Farallon. That has just about happen on every project boat i have had, except for the very few like the Skagit's i have now. And you might get to the point in saying " this is the last boat i will EVER restore ". That to is normal in this crazy boating thing , but when you are done it will be worth it....really.Don't $top ! Keep making yourself go forward.That's all you can do at this $tage. By the way, if you want the bunk "pipes" as i call them let me know. They hold up the canvas bunk over the V cushons area. I never use them but still have them. If you like you can call me on my other phone anytime. 425-275-262 five. By the way , Marty and Helmar at Island boat shop did a super job on the wiring all of the wood work in the cockpit etc. I can't take credit for that. The 17 Skagit i am just starting to get into WILL be the last one. Here's a few pictures of it. Chuck
    Attached Files
    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Keep reference points when you can. There were times I would take a felt tip marker and just flat write on things, put an arrow from the bottom to the top of things with a measurement and then take a picture of them.

Here is a Bell Boy that I worked on that shows the structure work.
      Like Chuck says, keep at it even if its only a little at a time.
      Also, if you clean up and take pictures to share, that too is going forward :cool1:

http://www.windriverfarm.us/joe/bellboy/index.html
      Helmar Joe Johanesen
      1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
      1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
      Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
      2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
      http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

It gets better right???

Chuck and Helmar thank you. It looks like you have your own project going as well! They both look like great vessels!

I was poking around after hours and it was not good or maybe it was... the rot I was speaking of on the cockpit is worse than I thought. Those damn sheet rock screws were pulled up like nothing.... So everything will be pulled out of the cockpit (gas tanks, helm, ECT.) and the real work begins.... Gotta love it or not get involved in it!!! I will post more pics soon...

One more question Chuck, did you install a Gray Water Tank? My sink was still hooked up for a discharge out the starboard side. Does not sound legal or responsible... I know the Willamette River has its share of sewage overflow issues but I could not find any clear Coast Guard or Oregon laws on it... May just need to do more research instead of finding new problems...

The only way is through it... Once you start, finish...

Josh

Comment

Originally posted by Helmar, post: 19726
          Keep reference points when you can. There were times I would take a felt tip marker and just flat write on things, put an arrow from the bottom to the top of things with a measurement and then take a picture of them.

Here is a Bell Boy that I worked on that shows the structure work.
          Like Chuck says, keep at it even if its only a little at a time.
          Also, if you clean up and take pictures to share, that too is going forward :cool1:

http://www.windriverfarm.us/joe/bellboy/index.html
          Helmar, you are the man!!!! I love your page and attention to detail. I have rebuilt a 65 Lincoln Continental & several Hudson's with my father law. Built custom houses and made Phil Knight a few more dollars. But when it comes to classic fiberglass boats. hands down you have a gift, the experience and much respect of me... I will humbly do what you suggest... Keep these the old boats floating... God Speed....

Josh

Comment

hang in there dude!

I USE TO try and figure out how little I could take part a project boat to "fix it".

But after doing a couple I have learned the best thing to do is take apart as much as you safely can. If you are going to spend the time and $$ to do the job, then might as well do it right the first time!. I have found that it does not really take that much more to do it right and you also have the satisfaction of knowing how well built your boat is when your done.

Your wiring mess is pretty typical. What seems to happen over the years is every previous owner added something, but just threw it in and put the cover back on.
            One of the first things I do on a project is to strip out every inch of wiring all start all over! Not only fire hazards may exist, but a tow at sea is very expensive! Plus by re-doing the entire system you will have a good understanding of it if a repair is needed.

I offer electrical help / design for free (retired electrical engineer) so if need some help in that area...let me know!......

Don't worry you will done one day and have great satisfaction when it comes!
            1963 Fiber Form Cuddy***
            1960 Hi Laker 15'**
            1957 Skagit 20 express*
            1955 uniflight 16' sportboat*
            *= previous completed projects
            **=finished and still using
            ***= in progress

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Bobbers, post: 19729
              I USE TO try and figure out how little I could take part a project boat to "fix it".

But after doing a couple I have learned the best thing to do is take apart as much as you safely can. If you are going to spend the time and $$ to do the job, then might as well do it right the first time!. I have found that it does not really take that much more to do it right and you also have the satisfaction of knowing how well built your boat is when your done.

Your wiring mess is pretty typical. What seems to happen over the years is every previous owner added something, but just threw it in and put the cover back on.
              One of the first things I do on a project is to strip out every inch of wiring all start all over! Not only fire hazards may exist, but a tow at sea is very expensive! Plus by re-doing the entire system you will have a good understanding of it if a repair is needed.

I offer electrical help / design for free (retired electrical engineer) so if need some help in that area...let me know!......

Don't worry you will done one day and have great satisfaction when it comes!
              Thanks, I am going into this to do it right. I have a basic understanding of electrical systems but man I really want to do it right. But first and foremost I wan the rot gone and done correctly, then the electrical. There is no rhyme or reason to it so it must all go.

Thanks for the input... I will need all the help I can get.

Josh

Comment

Bed liner in a boat?

So getting this hull gutted and know I have a lot of glass work to do how does this community feel about spray in or DIY bed liner in the cabin or on the deck?

Comment

Ok got into it a little bit and removed a small section. Not as bad as it seemed. Stringers seem sound and the rot it confined to the top sheet. At some point the deck was replaced. But since I am this far in I am going to remove it all and replace the cockpit floor and glass it up correctly. Bonus: I found a bilge pump!!! Not hooked up to anything, but it looks new! Pics to follow. I do not have much daylight.

Helmar, does the expanding foam seem feasable on this? I think it would take a lot and make the hull run high... Any suggestions or should I drop a new under deck fuel tank?

Comment

Josh, Can you call me and i can explain a lot of items for your Farallon over the phone instead of in a e-mail. I'am in my office at this time 7:10 PM. 1-800-637-9190 Thanks,Chuck
                    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
                    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

All is not what it seems...

Here are my pics from the after hours exploration, and under further investigation it is not as bad as it seems... It looks a cockpit floor replacement is now on the agenda, but that's okay. Maybe a good time to install a under deck fuel system. There is plenty of room. Suggestions? Last pic is the bilge pump to nowhere...

Electrical has been removed as well as the old helm... Twin funky tanks are out. Still has gas in them...

VeryBigSmile

Josh
                      Attached Files

Comment

Marty installed a belly tank in Allens Farallon.
                        You have plenty of room on the sides up towards the bulkhead for some side tanks.
                        I am one of those guys that thinks the majority of the weight needs to be midship. Batteries and the fuel.
                        One battery to start and run the motor, the other battery for the cabin and accessories, fuel forward too. They can be tanks under the seat boxes if you wanted too. :TwoCents1:

Chucks boat had those bennit trim tabs that was setup to counter balance the fuel difference and even movement. If someone got up and moved from one side of the boat to the the other, it would auto adjust. Pretty slick setup.
                        Helmar Joe Johanesen
                        1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                        1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                        Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                        2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                        http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

[. The 17 Skagit i am just starting to get into WILL be the last one.

Okay i believe you...I really do.

Still have the BB and now a couple of motorhomes to tow and camp with. Hope we hook up next year.
                          John & Diane Kelly

Comment

Eating Elephant!

Josh,
                            Break out some Bleach,mix it up with Hot water and start spritzing all that solid plywood you see.The black will go away if you do it enough,then sand and watch for powdery areas which may be dry-rotted.The goal is to kill the mold spores and saturate the wood for any offspring.
                            Epoxy anything you think is soft or replace (both sides equally thru-out hull).
                            I`d keep the fuel above decks,amidship so center of balance is the same whether empty or full.Skinny belly tanks don`t fill quickly(which look like all you can fit) and also show full until 1/4 full,then drop off and finally work as you drain them.
                            Find any screws poking out the bottom?
                            With floor out ,you can put light outside or inside the hull and then look from the other side to reveal thin places or repairs you never would find otherwise.This works better in the dark.......
                            Like eating an Elephant,you do it one bite at a time!
                            TimM
                            unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
                            15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
                            SeaRay 175BR
                            Hi-Laker lapline
                            14` Trailorboat

Comment

Originally posted by Helmar, post: 19735
                              Marty installed a belly tank in Allens Farallon.
                              You have plenty of room on the sides up towards the bulkhead for some side tanks.
                              I am one of those guys that thinks the majority of the weight needs to be midship. Batteries and the fuel.
                              One battery to start and run the motor, the other battery for the cabin and accessories, fuel forward too. They can be tanks under the seat boxes if you wanted too. :TwoCents1:

Chucks boat had those bennit trim tabs that was setup to counter balance the fuel difference and even movement. If someone got up and moved from one side of the boat to the the other, it would auto adjust. Pretty slick setup.
                              This vessel has trim tabs as well. Not sure if they work but the are there. Still yet another peice of the pie to deal with...

Comment

Working...
                              X