1960 Chris Craft sportsman restoration project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1960 Chris Craft sportsman restoration project

Guys, I'm currently restoring a 1960 CC sportsman. It's a solid mahogany 17 foot utility boat. The boat came from the factory with a 283 v8. I bought it to bring it back to luster...
    I have turned the boat and currently installing a new (5200) plank bottom. I have replaced 3 frames, the keel, and chines. It's been a fun project with some challenging aspects so far! It was taken apart in the '80's and had been sitting since. Can't wait to blast up the river in this classic...
    Attached Files
    1993 reinell 192
    1960 CC sportsman CUAC 17 064 (current restoration project)
    wood is good!

Welcome and wow, Very nice project.
    Glad to see some of the wood come back to life.

Enjoy
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Nice shop !

Saw your shop in the other post - Great project and it's a beautiful thing to see real craftsmanship ! If I didn't go on the Salt water and run my boats on the beach I would love to do a project like that someday. Maybe if I ever get to retire ! I love progress pictures so please keep them coming . Great job and welcome to the forum. :Underconstruction1:
      Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

Thanks Guys for the warm reception...I will post pics as I make progress.
        Bob
        1993 reinell 192
        wood is good!

Comment

transom taking shape

Guys, after getting a second coat of bilge paint in the transom area yesterday, I was able to get the transom planks screwed in place today. They are glued with 5200 and screwed like crazy! about 160 screws in those two planks...I made my own plugs from the drop when I cut the two new planks. The grain on each plug WILL be straight! The CC factory so hap hazzardly built these boats...I have a little more touch.
          Attached Files
          1993 reinell 192
          wood is good!

Comment

oooOOOOoo!! Another woody! Nice project! There's nothing quite like a boat made from trees - you can always use them in the fireplace when it comes time to scrap 'em!

Comment

Nice work, Looking forward to seeing it afloat. For me the project is almost as fun as using the finished boat. Andy E.

Comment

without a doubt!

Andy, Thanks and I have to agree... It's a great project! I will not get bored. This thing needs everything. Tomorrow I'm working on the trailer. It hadn't been registered since 1976, and the guy I bought it from had no paperwork, DMV has no record of it! I have to get it verified. I towed it home(2 hours in a major rain storm) with no saftey chains, no lights, and no registation. lucky or something... I appreciate you guys who are enjoying the tread telling me so. I get a kick out of doing the restoration, and really enjoy the following! Thanks, Bob
                1993 reinell 192
                wood is good!

Comment

making progress

Guys, I have been working on the trailer the last couple of weeks, but I have made progress on the boat as well. I fitted the inner ply bottom. It is 1/4" birch ply. I can now seal all edges and faces. I need to bore the drive shaft hole in the keel before bedding the 1/4" ply with 5200. It gets screwed in place with blocks as in the photos. Once the 5200 cures, the screws are removed. The bottom sides planks are bedded with 5200 and screwed in place with nearly 2000 bronze screws. I'm real happy with my work so far... STAY TUNED!!
                  Attached Files
                  1993 reinell 192
                  wood is good!

Comment

You should be happy Bob. That's a nice tight fit on the birch panels. Nice job for sure. Looking forward to seeing the progress pictures. Thanks for the post.
                    Steve Kiesel
                    1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Looks like your doing a wonderful job, please keep us imformed on your progress and welcome to the club.
                      Greg James

Comment

Guys, It's been some time, but I am back on my restoration project. I have been steaming in bottom planking. It's going real well thus far. take a look...
                        Attached Files
                        1993 reinell 192
                        wood is good!

Comment

we're gettin closer!!! two more planks steamed in today. Sometimes we go through an element or more doing this steam thing. today I went through two, but got em in...
                          Attached Files
                          1993 reinell 192
                          wood is good!

Comment

This is looking better and closer to the water every time you show pictures.
                            Keep up the good work :GoodJob:
                            Helmar Joe Johanesen
                            1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                            1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                            Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                            2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                            http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Thank you Helmar, It's moving closer... lots left to do. Bored I will not be.
                              Bob
                              1993 reinell 192
                              wood is good!

Comment

Working...
                              X