1960 Glastron Bayflite, Custom "Cruisette"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1960 Glastron Bayflite, Custom "Cruisette"

With snow on the ground, crackling embers warming our toes, and an NWCBC mug full of hot cocoa - it seems only natural that "boat project" would be high on the to-do list.

At 18', the 1960 Glastron Bayflite will be perfect for touring the brine of the Salish Sea. This is the Mothership of our 1961 Glastron 15' Fireflite, with similar - albeit chubbier proportions. Imagine adding 100 psi of compressed air to make a bigger version of a small hull...

This is a nice example of the "Cruisette" option, with flexible seating that convert to bunks and a lovely kitchen cabinet. If you know me at all, you have guessed that the interior will be much different when complete.

Love that Bayflite Greg. It looks pretty complete as it is. Looking forward to seeing your vision on the interior. Have fun with the restore.
    Steve Kiesel
    1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Greg, Ya got to have water under the whole boat for it to go good, not just the motor. Really looking forward to seeing those beauties in the water someday. Thanks for the post.
      Greg James

Comment

artistic license

Thanks for your comments Steve and Commodore James. As a gimp, the only way I can wakeboard is behind a boat running in the tank - in the driveway...

Though the Glastron Bayflite is nicely preserved, the factory's utilitarian "lawn chair" set-up, with it's luxurious 1" foam padding - wasn't going to win any style or comfort points. The ability to camp, tow skiers, and haul family in style has driven the Center Console Concept with lounge seating up front.

By moving the cockpit mid-ship, with a leaning post driving position - vision and comfort will be enhanced. In modified cuddy form, powered by a Mercury 175 hp SportJet, the "space age" Glastron should live up to it's original design goals...G

Attached Files

Comment

Greg, you will like the Center Console. I picked up a 16ft Center Console for fishing the lakes down here (Not a Glassic), but a wood boat built by a fellow up in Portland.

I really like it. It's much easier to get out of the seat and tend to whatever might be going on. Seems to be much roomier with that layout as well. Go for it, you won't regret it.
          Attached Files
          Steve Kiesel

Comment

Excersize Machine

That is a sweet ride, Diesel Kiesel. Tell us more about this new fish catcher made out of plywood? What are the advantages over modern materials for your uses. Wonder how many the builder sells annually? Can't help but notice the Honda - I thought your lake was minimum HP only??

Your thoughts on the center console plan are appreciated. I loved the freedom of standing while riding in your Seafair and GregJ and ChuckC's Skagits I've hitched a ride on.

A leaning post has a small seat area, but a standing position is normal, allowing your legs to act as shock absorbers, in harder riding low deadrise hulls. With my condition, the "free" excersize induced by a seemingly passive hobby will make it easier to justify feeding the hungry Mercury.

Comment

The Honda does look big in that picture, it's a 40hp. Pushes it along just under 30 mph with two on board. Sure nice having an engine that starts when you turn the key. What a concept.

The builder only built this one. Not a real professional finish job, but good enough to spill some fish guts on.

Hope to make it up North for at least one outing next year. Hopefully you will have the Bayflite on the water by then. You owe me a ride. :boater1:
              Steve Kiesel

Comment

Greg, Great concept. Looking forward to seeing that on the water one day! Do tell more about your Merc jet. What did that come in? What do i need to keep my eyes open for to salvage a power plant like that?
                BRIAN FRANCHINI
                LAKE TAPPS, WA.

Comment

Organ Donor

Hi Brian, the low-hour Mercury XR2 175 SportJet going into the 1960 Glastron Bayflite project was excised from a '98 SeaRayder F16 that was burned in a carport fire in 2000. It sat in dry storage since then, until purchased early this year.

Everything needed to retrofit the combo into the Cruisette is intact and undamaged, with the exception of the pervasive burned resin odor.

These motors were commonly installed in 97-99 Sugar Sand Tango, Bayliner Jazz and SeaRayder recreational jet boats. The 200 and 240 Optimax engines were common in SeaDoo Utopia until 2004. The later models have the louder wetbox transom exhaust that makes for a larger engine footprint, and more complicated install. Expect top speeds in the 48-50 mph range in a glass boat up to 18'.

This conversion is simple compared to the task we undertook to transplant a PWC bed into our rides. Bring your Playmaster-Jet out to an event this year!

Comment

Greg ,
                    Wow ,is an understatement.....knowing what it takes to rig a Sportjet OR a center console (access panel for helm and wiring please....or hinged as an assy) makes my neck hurt just thinking about it.
                    You get to tackle both!
                    I too love the stand-up ride,lets you give some "English" to the driving and saves the lower back.
                    I`d do a rough mock it up in Cardboard and milkrates ,ala "Red/Green" and see what your steering cable want to do.
                    Keep up the wild restos!
                    Tim M
                    unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
                    15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
                    SeaRay 175BR
                    Hi-Laker lapline
                    14` Trailorboat

Comment

Seriously, 1:39 AM? Like Chuck, you need a hobby too.
                      Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
                      Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

Working...
                      X