"O" What The Hey !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "O" What The Hey !

Well, the Dorsett Saratoga project that was going to be just a little buffing out and leave it at that has completely change to a full blown one. The floor will need to be replaced. I took up a sampling and found that it has a lot of dampness under it so it will be replaced and will fiberglass the stringers in. Another thing was the way Dorsett put the floor down with a bunch of scrap plywood glued together and they never screw it down only fiberglass the edges! ChuckB when he came over to help me on some things,told me all the boat people care about back then was to get them out of the factory for a quick sale. Hummmm. I also found out the seats looked nice but the wood was just about all rotted inside ( u could hear it ) so the only thing that was keeping it together was it's shape of the upholstery itself. Sat i filled in the holes from the hardware and ChuckB came over and we took the windshield off. Now my thinking has changed on everything about this project so some of the things i was going to do on past boats ( Farallon,Skagit's and some others ) that i did not , i will put into this one so when i get done yes it will have changed just a "little bit" being this is the last one anyway. Some of the idea's from "1958" will still be use over, but i will add newer things like Tele-a-Flex steering,etc,etc,etc and etc and "maybe" a BIG black motor to go with the BL....Oops letting the cat out of the bag ! Sheila told me she knew this was not going to be just a little buffing out project but she is still happy i have something to do besides work. how did she know that ? ? Hey by the way Dan i still love the boat ! Chuck
    Attached Files
    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Surprise, Surprise !

Boy , Just when I thought we were out of surprises for the year - Chuck comes up with a new one :Good one: :Underconstruction1: There's no way Chuck can have a boat that is not pristine- before we know it he'll be ording the matching boat socks and burgee's - Now you'll have to paint the boat to match all the Dorsett swag you already have :HandHorn1: You go Chuck - you are an inspiration to us all !!! After the holidays maybe we can do a night shift on the boat , I can come down for a few hours after work ???
    Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

Looks like you have a good start. Something to do this winter. Let me know if you need any help.
      Greg James

Comment

Rick, I don't know about the inspiration part ! Yes i do have a RED burgee ( from you or BruceB ? ) left over from the Farallon and will get at least two socks ( bags ) for the back of the two front seats like on some other boats i have had. There are a few things i might do that some people might not care for but this being the last boat ...screw it ! LoL Have a idea for a new stripe on the hull. Anyway it is kind of fun to think up idea's. Just might take you up on your offer. Thanks, Chuck
        Attached Files

Comment

Greg, I'am sure there could be some things i could your help on. Thank,Chuck

Comment

Excellent!

Tear into it, Chuck - you will have it looking spiffy in no time.

Big ole Merc + custom stripes + red flag = sweet!
            Attached Files

Comment

Mr Slo-Mo, No Merc this time, but maybe a nice BL...Motor....Just Maybe. Chuck

Comment

I think Felix wants a get home motor...
                "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." K. Grahame "The Wind in the Willows"

Comment

Originally posted by chuckcarey, post: 20138
                  ... Hey by the way Dan i still love the boat ! Chuck
                  Glad to hear you're not too frustrated with the condition! Sorry I didn't respond to that last email three days ago -- to answer: the boat was completely tarped for the time it spent in Cathlamet but obviously there must have been a hole in the cover as there was a couple inches of water at the stern when I hitched up. The trailer had been blocked up at the tongue to keep the stern down and I know the transom drain plug was out.

I can't say for sure if the Dorsett was covered for the entire 5 years it sat in the former owner's driveway - but there was a tarp laying next to it when I purchased the old gal. Wish I could be more help with information, but she was sort of an impulse purchase and I hadn't checked it out very closely. It sure seemed in good condition at the time - Like you, I thought it just needed a good rubbing out. Very surprised about the seat frames being shot!

:Runaway1:
                  Attached Files

Comment

Dan, No big deal. When i took the seats out you could hear the wood shifting from one end to the other when put on end. When sitting on them they felt fine. This new job will be a snap compared to a Farallon or Skagit cabin boat. Being i will be putting in new seats , this will open up the color combinations along with some other things.Transom is in great shape ! she's does like the garage i believe. Best,Chuck

Comment

Bruce Burgee

Originally posted by chuckcarey, post: 20145
                      Rick, I don't know about the inspiration part ! Yes i do have a RED burgee ( from you or BruceB ? ) left over from the Farallon and will get at least two socks ( bags ) for the back of the two front seats like on some other boats i have had. There are a few things i might do that some people might not care for but this being the last boat ...[I]screw it[/I] ! LoL Have a idea for a new stripe on the hull. Anyway it is kind of fun to think up idea's. Just might take you up on your offer. Thanks, Chuck
                      That's a Bruce Burgee , mine were different. Beauty of owning your own boat is you can do what you like and who cares if somebody else does not think it's as cool as you do I have not done much on the Boats, been re-modeling Sarah's Moms basement and getting it ready to live in. Almost have it done so I can get back to the Larson. Did drain all the gas out of the Dorsett and filled my car with it. Removed everything out of the engine room (Except the engine ) and going to paint the back and add some lights and utility plugs.
                      Rick & Sarah

Comment

Did you remove the sock hanger? Chuck will probably want an Inboard outboard next so he can have one. Clint

Comment

Warm engine room

Clothes line is still there , it stretches across and has automatic re-coil so no need to remove . Good to hear from you Clint. When Chuck gets his ski boat together you are going to have to pull those boards of yours out again and show him how it's done
                          Attached Files
                          Rick & Sarah

Comment

Warm garage

Chuck, Is this the first boat you have owned that is small enough to work on in a somewhat warm area in the winter. Its cold outside. John

Comment

Clint, I saw the sock hanger at La Conner show with Sheila. That is a nice setup Rick has in the back engine area with even drain plugs holders and other neat goodies ! Water ski ? I try that about 10 years ago and could not get up anymore.

John, Somewhat warm area? I just open the door to the downstairs and it warms right up from 50+ on the thermometer. I have had quite a few boats Skagit's, Grandy, G-3 , SkiMaster, etc in there as long as they are not over 17' plus the trailer and it's better without a motor. The Garage is 22' deep. I just got done bring it back in the garage after sanding it this afternoon after i took time off from work as i did not want the dust flying all over the place and being Sheila car is in there too.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X