No announcement yet.

Marking Your Waterline...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That looks about the same (the line) though you are sitting a little lower in the stern. Sweet boat. I drive a convertible Mustang and the wind is always blowing some rain in through/under the seals somewhere. How are the curtains in a couple days of icky weather?

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Helmar, post: 29567, member: 59
      Personally, I can only get close. ..
      Here is a picture of my 59 with a I/O in it.
      I am down in Veneta (west of Eugene) and the boat is being stored up in Sandy.
      Joe, here's how mine turn out on this 59 Skagit. 1/2 " and two 1/4 tapes.
      Attached Files
      1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
      1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Personally I have never had any luck "calculating" water lines. I always save that for after the first float test. Then with a good sharpie and cloth (to dry the spots off) I make a very small (but noticable) mark where the water actually is. Then get back home and tape from mark to mark... The is the method ACB actually used for their boats as each one had so much customization that no two ever sit the same in the water.

To me there is nothing that ruins a perfect boat faster than an incorrect waterline placement. It can be seriously tacky looking. Look at some of the midsized Bayliners out there with 12" of bottom paint exposed at the bow! Tacky!!
        Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
        1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Why a water line?
          Greg James

Comment

Originally posted by GregJ, post: 29574, member: 58
            Why a water line?
            Good question. Maybe bottom paint from the line down ?

Bet Marty, Tim Jones or Tim Mattson would know.
            Helmar Joe Johanesen
            1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
            1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
            Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
            2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
            http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

To me it just give's it a little more flair. Most of the mfg's do that.
              1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
              1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Besides marking where to put your bottom paint, a waterline can show you if your boat is overloaded or unbalanced. Two or three times a year I tie my little 15' Fiberform to a buoy for up to a week at a time. I don't have a waterline, but there is a diagonal line molded in to the side of the hull that meets the transom at the normal waterline. In the morning I can look to see that the boat hasn't filled with water over night.

Comment

Why a waterline (an accurate one)? If it doesn't look racing stripe good and tell you where to stop applying/sanding extra layers of epoxy barrier coat and applying anti-fouling paint (thanks Helmar), at least it will show you where to put your swim platform/offshore motor (floatation) extension bracket should you be so inclined. Why an offshore bracket? It accentuates the waterline

Comment

Personally I have the same sentiments as Chuck, it just looks cool and classic. All the old boats I grew up with have a "boot stripe" so I am used to seeing it.

Like Stan said, it also provides a great, quick, reference to know if your boat is in trouble. I know when I have had to leave my boat in the water while its raining the big, open, utility collects a lot of water in a hurry. I have the thru hull exhaust that works as my reference for when its time to go run the pumps...
                    Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
                    1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Tradition maybe?
                      Greg James

Comment

Working...
                      X