Project: 1948 McChesney tribute

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project: 1948 McChesney tribute

A few of you have followed the genesis of this endeavor in the "classic boat sightings" section ( [ame="http://www.classicboatclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3737"]Now we're talking! - Northwest Classic Boat Club Forum[/ame] ).
    The 1948 McChesney 16' "Streamliner" innocently posted by Mr. Loken, is a great example of forward thinking coupled with 40's Monk designed sweetness.

Marty wisely points out that the tiny outboards of the era, obviously struggled to reach planing speeds with this hull. Upon seeing photos of this beauty, I knew that a replica with a fiberglass hull, wood side panels and somewhat modern horsepower was in the cards.

The ingredients:

1) One derelict 1958 Skagit 17 hull: sans superstructure

2) Splash mold of a 1948 Ford 4-door roof,
    as the basis for the cabin with some modifications.

3) Power of suitable strangeness.

Having collected most of the parts necessary to restore a Skagit, these items will be earmarked for this project.

Stay tuned...Greg

My inlaws rented a guest house to Ed Monk Jr's daughter (Ed Sr's grandaughter) for several years and I got to talk to her Dad several times when I first purchased my Tolly. Sr. worked with Tolly on many of the designs and he was very helpful filling in details on the boats and thier construction. This little McCheshney has been bouncing around my head since Marty used it in one of his Rudder articles several years ago. I have a call into the Monk family to see what kind of drawings he still has in the archives.

Love your "hybrid" concept Greg and cant wait to see it come together. I have an Interceptor out drive from a 1960's Tolly that you are welcome to use. It originally was mated to a small block Ford but I am sure it will work with many other motors.
    BRIAN FRANCHINI
    LAKE TAPPS, WA.

Comment

6 degrees

It is awesome that you have a "Monk" connection Brian, hope you find some useful nuggets to share. Upon seeing Marty's post I knew that the Aero-McChesney would be in your wheelhouse. Nothing would be better than an authentic model built from the original drawings! My version of history will be user friendly and lower maintenance, better fitting my modern sensibilities with a polite salute to the past.

If you or anyone else has knowledge of an unrestored ("junkyard") 47-48 Ford 4 door, that I could buy the roof or take a plaster or fiberglass splash off of the roof, I would be forever indebted. We are willing to pay for the privilege, and would leave the body in equal or better shape than previous.

Thanks for the outdrive offer also, Brian. I have 2 complete OMC V-4 inboard set-ups that McCrain went through and am really looking forward to installing one in the right project - namely this one...

Keep up the insanity!

Greg

Comment

oldie but part woodie...

The 1948 McChesney "Hybrid" Streamliner(as Franchini coined) continues to simmer on the side burner. After making a few calls, one of my buddies measured his boneyard '47 Ford Sedan and friends '48 Pontiac 4-door roofs. Both tops are a bit skinny to use on the wider Skagit 17 hull, and lack the proper side curve to match the existing deck.

A curvaceous hand shaped fiberglass roof will be fabricated after the wood side panels are laminated. The wood materials are waiting for some free time, to be formed using the '57 Skagit 17 coaming as a clamping jig.

Since the McChesney 16, has a longer cabin than the Skagit, the helm will be moved rearward 10-12" to better mimic Monk's original proportions - and provide roomier accommodations. Deck space will be saved with the use of the compact Evinrude V-4 I/O combo in place of the Express's splash well. Tanks and batteries will be located ahead of the hulls center of gravity.

I am in search of a period correct steering wheel, and nice aluminum "aero" windshield brackets similar to the McChesney pics. Please let us know if you have any leads.

Thanks, Greg

Comment

Greg, I've got an old steering wheel that might work. I'll get a picture Saturday and post it. You can decide. It's the original one from my 59 Seafair.
          Steve Kiesel
          1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

out of control

Thanks Steve, I would like to see what you can dig up.

I have quite a selection of slightly more modern dished wheels from the 60's, but this project is begging for a flat wheel with angled aluminum column. I have located a decent aluminum Duotrol unit on Ebay, but am holding out for the perfect setup for now.

Comment

Greg, one problem with having a big shop, is it's harder to find things. The one off my Seafair is pretty much like you already have. Here's a picture showing the wheel, most of it anyway.
              Attached Files
              Steve Kiesel
              1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

get the rope

Originally posted by Steve_Kiesel, post: 21204
                Greg, one problem with having a big shop, is it's harder to find things. The one off my Seafair is pretty much like you already have. Here's a picture showing the wheel, most of it anyway.
                Thanks for digging up photos of your original wheel Steve. It is not quite old enough to achieve the "look" I was thinking of, but would be a great addition to any ride from the 50's. I bet you could fetch a decent amount if you offered for it sale.

I wouldn't usually be interested in vintage rope style steering with the convenience of modern systems, but our Evinrude V-4 I/O has an integral cable drum at the drive that would be difficult to retrofit. I have just purchased a nicely preserved vintage unit on ebay that will look right at home on the 1948 McChesney knockoff.

Comment

insanity prevails

With all of the talk of the McChesney that Marty hopes to rescue, Melanie's progress, and Rick tearing into the correct year Johnson 35 motator for his Flyer - It seems natural to add a note about the kicker obtained for the '48 "McSkagney" project.

A $50, good running albeit weathered 1951 Johnson QD-12, 10 horse will be performing backup duties in the unlikely event that the V-4 I/O primary power suffers a failure. Despite my disdain for outboards, especially old ones - I will be tearing into the machine for a partial mechanical rebuild, update for reliability, and custom cosmetics. It is amazing that most of the parts necessary are still available for these tiny workhorses.

Greg

Comment

Working...
                  X