Aluminum Polishing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminum Polishing?

Can anyone help me to come up with a source for bringing my aluminum extrusions back to their once shiny appearance?

I live out on Kitsap Peninsula, so the West side of the pond would be desireable, but would be willing to go where I need to.

Thanks.
    Attached Files

Polishing Alum

Doug,
    I`ve used several methods ranging from wetsanding by hand to using a drill wielding a 3M Scotchbrite flapper wheel that can get things smooth in a hurry.
    Alum needs the "Grain" set which means like wood ,always sanding in a straight line.You can get away with using the power tools but then have to set the grain with scotchbrite or 220-320 or go finer if polishing and a chrome look is wanted.
    A Wool polish wheel with rubbing compound can get that final chrome look but blending is the key.
    Another product I`ve used on entire boats is Sharkhyde which is a Lacquer coating you still need to prep as above....then use Lacquer on rags until totally clean.Sharkhyde is put on with a rag and makes a clearcoat.Poorman`s Anodizing is my nickname.
    I use an airboard and 180-220 to set the grain on full bottoms or sides...parts should be easier.
    I`d try some wetsanding in a bucket of warm soapy water ,rinsing as it goes black.....Do the bottom of one to see what will happen.
    The car guys have some cool Polishing pads that look like plastic velcro and fit on DA pads....as fine as 2000 grit.
    If not bold enough to try it ,then ask Chris at Northlake Propeller for a quote.He lives to run that big polish wheel but usually does Brass.Used to hear some scary noises from that room next door when things went flying!
    TimM
    unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
    15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
    SeaRay 175BR
    Hi-Laker lapline
    14` Trailorboat

Comment

Here is a sample of what I was able to do after one of Marty and Joe's workshops several years ago. The process is pretty much as Tim explained above. I may be sick, but I find it to be a lot of fun bringing the old parts back to life. Have fun with it.
      Attached Files
      Steve Kiesel
      1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

I'll give it a shot

Thanks guys!

Comment

Sandpaper and time. You can get a super shine out of it if you start at 80 to get the old scratches out and then work up to 2000. Then polish.
          John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
          Past Affairs:
          '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Sand paper how much

How much is needed to do a 1989 glastron futura
            rough idea
            any help is appreciated

Comment

Similar polishing method as Guns

Same works
              as do to polish stainless steel guns
              then use Flitz
              then seal with his secret stuff
              Lol

Comment

polish

Doug : I took mine to specialty plating in Mt. Vernon , Forrest is slow on the chrome but when it's just polishing he is a bit faster. Cost me $60 to have it polished but it was well worth it for the time and and grief . Gave me the extra time to work on other areas . Do you still have the San Juan ?
                Attached Files
                Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

Check Dates

Sorry Doug - didn't notice the original post was a couple years ago - Thought you got rid of the San Juan OOpps !! :Shocked:
                  Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

Working...
                  X