Works conintues on the 1969 Chris Craft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Works conintues on the 1969 Chris Craft

Its been awhile since I posted any updates on our restoration of our 1969 Chris Craft Cavalier, and its been a busy winter...

Some hints have been droped in several threads but we finally decided to replace all the interior vinyl in the boat this winter and Tim Mattson and his wife just completed the work...

After getting the pieces back we painted and sealed all the wood and then installed brand new sound / heat insulation in the engine box (old stuff was asbestos and coming apart:NoWay1

Having all new vinyl was the butt whooping I needed to finally gut the interior and fix the soft, rotted, spot in the floor. The original floor was covered in red Nautolex which is no longer in production so I still don't know what we are going to use for flooring but at least the rot is gone...

Floor repair (the cheater's way):

1: identify the ares that need to be removed.
    2: Cut out the infected areas using a 45 deg cut (creating a ledge in plywood)
    3: Cut a new filler piece using the same 45 deg cut (careful about cut direction)
    4: Seal new plywood to prevent futer rot infection.
    5: Epoxy new piece into the cutout using the 45 deg ledge to support and provide adequate bonding serfice.
    6: Cover with flooring and nobody has to now it was patched. (Oops)

The next phase I have just begun is sanding and fairing the exterior so that I can spray it as soon as we get weather above freezing again... Hopefully by the time April 14th rolls around we should be debuting our new interior and bright new paint for the Lake Union ship canal cruise..

Happy motoring!!!
    Attached Files
    Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
    1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Brite Red

I like the red interior- looking real good , I'm going with the Red interior myself , Hope I can debut in April but that will be a stretch, I'm thinking more like May ? But you never know , Hope to see you out there , keep up the progress !
    Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

Working...
    X