Steering wheel restore

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering wheel restore

I have a Elgin steering wheel that has a med. crack. I would like to Bondo the crack but don't know what type of paint to use to refinish it. Any idea's out there? Thanks

Use any good primer,even automotive sandable in a spraycan ,topped with similar paint of your choice.Some makers have clearcoats that can make glossy.
    Epoxy primer would be best ,but with a small job isn`t worth mixing that small a batch,but if priming anything else,then do both at once with leftovers doing your wheel.
    Bondo will shrink later and reveal the repair,thickened epoxy will hold it`s shape better.If only cracked at corner,then don`t worry.
    TimM
    unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
    15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
    SeaRay 175BR
    Hi-Laker lapline
    14` Trailorboat

Comment

Thank you Tim. Your answer will be very helpful.
      Tom

Comment

We did the wheel on our Tolly craft with a rattle can of primer and one of white. Even changed the wheel from black to white. Going on the third season and it seems to be holding up very well. Like most of the work on vintage items, the prep is 90% of the battle. If you take your time to prep and fill little nicks and scratches, it will turn out great!
        Attached Files
        BRIAN FRANCHINI
        LAKE TAPPS, WA.

Comment

I also used a thickened epoxy to patch up cracks.
          I have used a rattle can as well as the paint rig to paint them.

I think Lon came up with a Youtube video of a restore that was on the H.A.M.B hot rod message board..

Might just to a search on Youtube for Steering rebuild or restoration to see what you can find too...
          Helmar Joe Johanesen
          1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
          1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
          Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
          2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
          http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Thanks Brian. Great looking job. Will take the extra time with the prep.
            Tom

Comment

Working...
            X