okay I found my new project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• okay I found my new project

Found this 1968 Gulfstream for a potential project. Needs and engine.
    I know its not the skagit that i was looking for, but hey its 5 miles from my house!!!! Any thoughts guys???? ( I see where it starts out as one boat, then two, and so on......right chuck!!!????)

http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/boa/2883512920.html

Hmmmm....Me, I would keep looking.
    Nice looking boat and all but a hand full.
    Your best bet with this one is look for a donor boat that has the same engine and outdrive but with a fresh water cooling package on it...
    You will find one that the upholstery is shot, paint is shot, trailer is shot but they just dumped money in the engine and outdrive last season - wife says, Loose the boat, make it go away. $300 to $800

More boats....Its something that we all have to deal with at one time or another, where can we park them, does our neighborhood allow us to park more boats around, do I have enough cover to work them, do I need a friend to park or hide one at (known as our, Park and Hides). Do we have one neighbor that has nothing better to do than want your yard looking better than theirs.

If I get one that really needs a Bunch of work, will it be ready for this coming season? Lots to think and ponder about.

Me, I would hold out a little longer looking for something that is of course, not over budget but then again, something that is a little closer to turn key.
    My boats, all are, Work in Progress :BigWink1:

The other thing is, we all give Rides at the events. Really don't even need a boat to have a good time and with that, you get to ride in Different Classics to see what you like better than others.

First couple of sunny days and they will All start showing up.opcorn1:
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Joe's right as far as keep looking and don't jump at the first thing you see. Come to some of the events and take a ride in brands like, Skagit,Bellboys,and others. That boat is going to be a nightmare waiting to happen.Why is the person not fixing it up himself ? I bet he got it free. The motor will cost big $$$$ just to get it running.The price of the boat is the cheapest thing you will spend money on and the fact it is only 5 miles from your house. All the rest of the $$ will start adding up quickly. We all have been there. Sorry. Chuck
      1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
      1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Dito to above

Plus it's not old - I have shirts that old ? I think Chuck retired in 1968 , and started working out of his house for extra boat money ? Keep looking gas is the cheapest part , I almost drove to Oregon for that Dorsett Catalina ! Gas you would have spent on that trip wouldn't even add up to 2 hrs. labor on that Merc cruiser .

There's lots of boats out there !
        Attached Files
        Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

You got to love it

After the excitement of obtaining that new boat wears off. Will you still love it. After years of owning my Skagits i still stop and just look at them. It is easy for me to put time and money into something I love.

Comment

Take your time.
            1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
            1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

1968 gulf stream

Spoke with the guy that owns this boat. It was his inlaws and was brought up from california. It did run last year, but has a rusted out manifold. Its been parked in the barn for all this time. Going to go look at it at 1:30. I'll post up what I find on it. Oh and I just found a 73 20' rienell that has a awsome ez loader trailer for $200-300 bucks.

Comment

Well the boat was a piece. No rot in the transom or floor, seats had no rips or stains, glass all good, trailer was c-channel and not rusted out. Motor needs new manifold, and
                out drive needs to be reinstalled. (was removed to installed power trim hoses). Not worth
                posting pics.

Comment

When I see the boat was a piece, to me it means a piece of s*%$.

I thought it looked pretty sweet to start with and had some really nice lines.

Might now be a Classic Classic but it dos have those Classic lines for sure.

We have always came around with this and it just keeps coming around and around....
                  What is a Classic ??

Did you get her?
                  If so, I would look for one of those ugly tri hull boats that you can rob all the goodies and have a quick runner..
                  Helmar Joe Johanesen
                  1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                  1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                  Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                  2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                  http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Got her! (pick up wednesday) I will pull the engine out and either rebuild it or found a
                    70 chevy 250 to rebuild.

Comment

Working...
                    X