keel saver

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• keel saver

Has anyone used those "keel saver's"? The rubber strip that goes on the front part of the boats keel. I was thinking of using one but my boat's keel rests on a roller at the front bottom and another one a ways back from that. I have no bunks. The ad says that you can't use the keel saver if your trailer is made like mine, it will comprimise the 3m tape that holds it in place. I guess the ultimate keel saver would be made to handle the rollers on the trailer, like stainless steel, but how to mount it. Seems like there would be an alternative to this. Anyone.......

I put one on my Skagit 17. It didn't stick on well. I sent the manufacturer pictures and they said the shape of my keel would keep it from attaching well. Instead of a refund, they sent me another Keelguard (which I sold on eBay for about half of what I paid) and I pulled the old Keelguard off taking a fair amount of paint off with it from where it fit. Having talked to several people who have put them on their classic boats, I think they are fine if you don't have any tight curves to wrap around.
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Hy dude,
      You could upgrade the keel rollers to the Stolz Super ureathane type that offer a softer non-marring finish.Bright yellow and usually the best opton.
      Keel savers work great on softer radius keels with beaching doing worse damage than the rollers.Put them on with sterile surface,and warm the pc overnite and during the install with a quality laminate roller and /or a soft mallet to help the contact happen.Some use a portion of the larger sized kit and do only the section you need with leftovers being sold or stored for your next boat.
      TM
      unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
      15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
      SeaRay 175BR
      Hi-Laker lapline
      14` Trailorboat

Comment

Working...
      X