Dorsett Catlalina Project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dorsett Catlalina Project

Well, I have started my Catalina project.
    This all started back during the Slough Run days when Marty and I (Ole and Helmar team) was heading down to Coulon park and I thing it was Chuck Bower that came up along side in his Seafair? (Help me Chuck)
    I was blown away as Marty and I were getting beat to death pounding on every wave we came up too.
    Same with my Skagits, flat bottom, like a barn door with a motor on it.
    Anyway, Chuck came up along side and as we were banging and bouncing up and down, I looked over and he could have been holding a cup of coffee as that hull was slicing though the waves.
    This prompted me to acquire a Seafair Sedan for the ride.
    So, I have this boat all torn down ready to go back together but (Sorry Seafair owners) but I was not able to get my head wrapped around all those right angle and boxy lines it had.
    I guess I was too used to those smooth lines from the 50's boats...
    Anyway, I score this Dorsett Catalina that needs Everything and I mean Everything too.
    Then Chuck Carey comes up with his Catalina and is willing to do some trading.

Well, here it is and here I go...
    First things first, no trailer so I need to refurbish a trailer for it. This one I will be running in Oregon so no worries about salt as she will never see it.
    My friend Super Sportster is willing to help with putting together a short shaft Bearcat engine for it with parts from some of my supply and mostly his.
    So, I am working on this trailer and seems I keep getting deeper and deeper into it and then say, what the hell, do it all the way or nothing.
    So, up on the stands the trailer goes, new sealed lights, new bearings, races and seals, new buddy grease caps. Few rollers to replace, bunk pads were shot, Lots of rust so sanding, more sanding, then dug up my paint rig and shot some X-0 Rust primer paint to kill anything I may have missed.
    So Primer, paint, more paint and now she is looking pretty nice....
    Back the Dorsett in and hang her from the rafters only to find out, man, this is really oxidized bad, in fact, looks pretty nasty.

So, out comes the Production Slam product, 20 to 1 mix, scrub it on, whip it off and Wholly Crap, I forgot how well this stuff worked..
    As you can see, it worked very well. And, the finish is Dry, not wet to make it look shiny or darker, its Dry and clean.

The plan was to drag it down to the Sandy Oregon Resto shop were I am teaching this trade to my Sons. I will have a full shop set up like I have up here.
    Only thing, the boat looked really crappy on the fresh painted trailer.
    So, inventory time, yet, go most of what I need in parts to put her in the water this summer.
    Work in progress...

Oh, Rick, do you have any pictures of your cabin door or the layout??
    As you can see here, I mean....Damn.....
    I have No idea on what this person was thinking..Home depot special I think.
    Attached Files
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Kind of miss her when i see those pictures,but i always feel that way about all of the other boats i use to have. I know she has a good home and before long she will be out on the waters looking all spiffy. Have fun with her. Chuck
    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Well, now I am torn between the Uniflite and the Catalina....
      I think its like the 59 Skagits I have. The 59 Offshore is a runner again, and the 59 Skimaster will get another Bearcat put on and used as well. Keepers, all of them.

This will make 4 runners with three waiting to become runners.

Thanks Chuck..:BigHappy1:
      Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

1964 Catalina re-model

Looks to be in decent shape , Yeah that cockpit is a trophy , Here are a few shots and I have not searched the threads but I'm sure if you look back there is a thread for when I installed the head in the cabin. It was pretty easy to cut out the bow plate and pull it aft a few inches and a porta potty fit in the bow pretty nice. I'll send some more shots later - Have to get up early tomorrow to go to the N.R.A. Convention in Chicago - No guns - National Restaurant show I'll send another batch when I get back. Good luck Helmar
        Attached Files
        Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

Thanks Rick.
          I will open that door and get a better picture as it looks quite different than what you have...
          I really like your setup..
          This one is a large opening on mine or at least the framework is still in place...

Yes, more pictures when you have some extra time :BigHappy1:
          Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Yea, We did a little horse trading with work on " Bainbridge ". In the next month or so she will also take on a minor facelift all of her own at least for now. Chuck
            1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
            1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Joe, Love those Catalinas. If I were to make a change from my Skagit it would be to a Catalina for shur. Angeous to see what you end up doing with it. I have no dought you will do something great.
              Greg James

Comment

Helmar:
                You are remembering my 16' del Mar with the Mighty Honda 50. nice little boat.Marty I'm sure has a pic in his archives.
                ChuckB
                "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." K. Grahame "The Wind in the Willows"

Comment

Working...
                X