NOS Ride Guide Steering Cable help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NOS Ride Guide Steering Cable help

Gents -- I'm committed to restoring the steering system in my '67 Sabre Craft Sunliner to a period correct Ride Guide rack and pinion. I can't stand how much the teflex black plastic unit detracts from the boats character.

As you've guessed, I have all the parts (I think) with the exception of the steering cable. I'm after a 19 footer (part number 11111A19 I believe).

I just picked up the wheel and hub from the powder coater and they look amazing so I'm rearing to get them on the boat. So far my web searches have pulled up nothing...ugh.

Any ideas for where I might find one would be much appreciated.

-Mike

Mike,

Be prepared with the length cable you need and call Seaway Marine, if I remember correctly they picked up someone else's old stock a while back and had some NOS Ride Guide cables.

Also, I have a complete Ride Guide setup in a Larson All American that's headed for the landfill, it's the only thing not yet salvaged off the boat. I haven't measured the cable but the steering works and you're welcome to it if you come pull it.

Tim

Comment

Tim -- thanks a ton. I'll try Seaway first. If it doesn't pan out, I may take you up on the Larson...should know later this week.

Interestingly, I think you must have blazed this trail before...I believe I'm also using the decal designs you first ordered via Bend Signs. Sound right?

Comment

Yep, if you're getting them from Bend Signs, those are the graphics I drew. Still have the original cad files from those.

Comment

Tim, I was able to find one. Seaview did't have it but they put me on the right trail. Thanks for the heads-up.

I'd love to get the Sabre Crafts together some day.

Comment

Tim -- I ran into an issue getting the new helm installed this weekend. I'm pretty sure I have the wrong hub for my my style of boat. Comparing with pics I've seen of yours where the wheel operates in a plane parallel to the dash, the base of the helm I have is angled upwards so that, when attached, the wheel operates in a plane flatter than the dash. Which gives it almost a bus-like feel.

I didn't realize they made more than one hub...but I'm thinking that's what the issue is. Does the larson have a hub similar to the one you have? I may need to grab that after all.
            Attached Files

Comment

The hub on the Larson is parallel to the dash, so it sounds like it would work better for your situation. I'll post a photo later today so you can see.

Tim

Comment

That would be great. Thanks Tim.

Comment

Graphics? Did you say graphics? I could use a set for sure. I restored my wheel last year, but the one thing I haven't been able to do is get those sweet stars that were in there. What pricing do they have for the stickers? Are they foil like the originals?

Thanks!
                  John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
                  Past Affairs:
                  '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Michael - Here's a photo of the setup in the Larson and one of my boat. The wheel in the Larson is a different style but I would imagine that you could use that mount and your wheel. Don't know for sure, maybe someone else can chime in here.

John - My wheel doesn't have the stars, it just has the "spears" in red with chrome surround, but the folks at Bend Signs could sure make you what you need. They also made me a new "Sabrecraft" sticker for the bezel, originally it said "Quicksilver" there but Sabrecraft put their own sticker over the Merc one.

Tim

P.S. No, I'm not throwing away the Homelite tach.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Tim -- shoot, I'm dead set on finding one that's the same as what you have in your Sabre Craft. Thanks for offering but the hunt goes on....

John -- I just put an order in yesterday for a set including the chrome/white stars. If you send me your email, I'll loop you in so you can order the same. They're $10 per set I believe.

Comment

Totally interested in a set with the stars. email me at john@positronic.us. Does the set include the Quicksilver logo? Just curious as mine is actually in decent shape and I left it on there when I did the refinish. But a spare is always a good thing to have...

Thanks Mike!
                        John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
                        Past Affairs:
                        '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Working...
                        X