1960 Wizard Marlin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1960 Wizard Marlin

I went to wake up The Wiz today and found myself with two superflat tires!
    after I replaced them I went to the Ballard ramp and fired it up. First try it turned right over! Tomorrow its gear lube, a bath and attempt at hand waxing.

I bought some medium abrasive 1step wax from west marine and some terry cloths. After I get the barnacles off and give it a brown bear wash I'm giving the wax a go.

I could use some advice on some of my trim - see the attached pictures.
    They are pretty oxidized and starting to get that pot metal peal thing going.
    I just bought these new Wizard emblems and they have already started to turn on me. Should I be coating them in something to prevent this or is it just the way it's going to be? My cleats are all the same way too. Anyway, I am pretty new at this so any advice o how to clean these up is welcome.

My plan was to hit the side emblems with steel wool.... is that the right thing to do? I tested using a scouring pad to knock off the oxidation but it didn't get me very far.

(pictures attached)

Thanks,
    Eric/The Wiz
    Attached Files

I have been kinda hanging out on this post to see what others have done myself.

I did do something different on my Uniflite.
    The chrome was going away and under the chrome was Bronze. I got the old chrome off and was thinking about having them rechromed but them, just polished them up and used the Mag Wheel coating to protect them.

We had done that after polishing aluminum and it seems to hold up better that just trying to keep polish on them.

I would start out with double 00 steel wool and see if that brings it down, but then again, thats me and I could be making a Big mistake...

Hope others chine in...
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Eric,
      I`d wetsand those corner pcs but hold off on the emblems.The Alum pcs can be saved much easier and can be polished with small wool wheel to get like chrome,then clear-coat ,Wax or the mag -polish would give it a surface that will bead up the water again.
      You could also try Vinyl wrapping the emblems with some silver chrome vinyl that is then heat-shrunk and X-acto knifed until wrinkles blend in.
      I`ll be getting some sraps from my vinyl guy and will let you know how and if it works.
      The boat looks cool even with the pits here and there.The cleats may be one thing to replace before they fail.
      TimM
      unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
      15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
      SeaRay 175BR
      Hi-Laker lapline
      14` Trailorboat

Comment

Thanks - I'll do some research and experimentation. Keep you posted on what comes of it.

Comment

Working...
        X