No announcement yet.

Skagit 14 Skimaster (?) moves forward.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skagit 14 Skimaster (?) moves forward.

Yesterday with my gorgeous 2005 Excursion V-10 Limited, I moved the 14' POS trailer to the fab shop to investigate it's resurection. Because it's members are of such thin sections, the repair job is beyond my abilities with a TIG gun.

The trailer needs every thing aft of the axle replaced including springs because of uncaring exposure to NaCL H2O) without rinsing. The boat and trailer were sold to the previous owner for $400 and I purchased it for tools worth $200. Originally red, the boat was mostly blue when I purchased it.

It is my plan to try the 20hp manual start on it which should get it on the plane.

More as this happens including pictures, after review by master fabricator. (His main job is supporting the Bristol Bay and Local Native fishery.)
    Dave

14 Skagit Sportster Blue (formerly red)
    16 Skagit Skimaster (blue)
    17 Skagit

18 Skagit Runabout (1961?)

Look online for your trailer parts. I need to do the same thing with the Bell Boy trailer. Even with shipping, you can get axle, springs, shackles, the whole bit, for much less than local. Even with shipping.
    John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
    Past Affairs:
    '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Originally posted by TheBronze, post: 23367
      Look online for your trailer parts. I need to do the same thing with the Bell Boy trailer. Even with shipping, you can get axle, springs, shackles, the whole bit, for much less than local. Even with shipping.
      One thing about working with master fabricator is he told me today that he will be able to fix the trailer and will order springs, axle, and the various other materials to complete the job. All I have to do is write a check when he is done.

Here is the trailer sitting next to a Moppie project. You can barely see it.

Here is a closer view.

Makes you wonder why people don't hose down their gear after a dip in the salt chuck!

Dave

17 Skagit

Comment

Most of the places that I have launched, have no water to do a wash down.
        It sure does not take long for the salt water to start eating a non galvanized trailer...
        Helmar Joe Johanesen
        1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
        1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
        Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
        2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
        http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Rustoleum Marine Paints?

Helmar:

Good input. I think the solution is a periodic and liberal coat of Blue Rustoleum and pressure washing. This is what I do with my AG equipment. I've found that if you don't keep it clean and painted, the rust appears literally overnight.

This is the system that the Navy uses and with carbon steel it may be necessary to prevent rapid oxidation of the structural members.

By the way anybody have an idea as to what kind of wood and carpet should be used to make the replacement bunks?

I plan to visit the carpet shop for some scraps and also use Rustoleum and stainless steel bolts and screws.

And I am also reading that Rustoleum Marine paints will work with Fibreglass and wood and be much cheaper than the exotic stuff.
          Dave

17 Skagit

Comment

Not sure about the bunks. I'll be doing the same myself at some point for the 404 and would be interested in what you use and the results.

I'm just now starting to play with Rustoleum prmer for the 404. Super easy to roll on and it dries nice and level.
            John Forsythe

Past Affairs:

Comment

Originally posted by DMCI, post: 23380
              Helmar:

Good input. I think the solution is a periodic and liberal coat of Blue Rustoleum and pressure washing. This is what I do with my AG equipment. I've found that if you don't keep it clean and painted, the rust appears literally overnight.

This is the system that the Navy uses and with carbon steel it may be necessary to prevent rapid oxidation of the structural members.

By the way anybody have an idea as to what kind of wood and carpet should be used to make the replacement bunks?

I plan to visit the carpet shop for some scraps and also use Rustoleum and stainless steel bolts and screws.
              I have always hadd good success using presure treated lumber and indoor/outdoor carpet from Lowes (or Home Depot). The carpeting needs to be the type without any padding on the back or you will get mold and mildew after the first dip. I wrap the carpet almost completely around the wood and secure with stainless steel staples from the bottom side. Then attach angle iron brackets (painted of course) with stainless screws. The angle iron pieces have slots for a carriage bolt (stainless) this allows for some fine tuning of the bunks as the wood settles in and forms to the contours of the hull.

You can see my thread about the construction of my current trailer that my father and I custom fit to our Chris Craft.
              http://www.classicboatclub.com/forum...hlight=trailer
              Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
              1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Moppie

Is that the Bertram 31 Moppie that's along side the freeway just south of Mt. Vernon? What's going on with that? Been there for some time....
                Just curious...
                Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Originally posted by McSkagit Tim Jones, post: 23392
                  Is that the Bertram 31 Moppie that's along side the freeway just south of Mt. Vernon? What's going on with that? Been there for some time....
                  Just curious...
                  My impression is that the boat mechanicals are nearly done. Restoration with 6V-53 naturals. Another contractor will finish the hull and interior.

Work is being done for a gentleman from E. Washington. Little more to contribute at this point, except that it appears to be a very pretty boat.
                  Dave

17 Skagit

Comment

As fare as the Skimaster, I think those were only the 16 footers.
                    The 14 footers that looked like the 16 Skimasters were called Sportsters.

Anyone, Anyone ??opcorn1:
                    Anyone else, just jump in here...

I have both.
                    Two of my Skimaster and two of the Sportster.
                    Attached Files
                    Helmar Joe Johanesen
                    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Ok, Sportster it is.

D.

:Skipper1:
                      Dave

17 Skagit

Comment

First time I've seen that last promo shot. Am I the only one to have not seen the Skagit 31 in the background?
                        John Forsythe

Past Affairs:

Comment

Working...
                        X