Paint stripper for fiberglass

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint stripper for fiberglass

Have my winter project lined up. There seems to be at least 4 paint jobs (I am pretty sure 1 layer is just house paint!) to go through before I get to the base layer. Instead of sanding all winter, is there a chemical stripper that works well without danaging the fiberglass topsides?
    1963 Fiber Form Cuddy***
    1960 Hi Laker 15'**
    1957 Skagit 20 express*
    1955 uniflight 16' sportboat*
    *= previous completed projects
    **=finished and still using
    ***= in progress

Bob, I used Citri Strip on my Seafair a few years ago. It doesn't harm the fiberglass. There was one coat of paint on mine. Seemed to work pretty good. After the paint bubbled up and softened up, I used a plastic scrapper to remove it.
    Steve Kiesel
    1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Don't try to save $$$$

I used Smart Strip and like Steve says Citrus Strip works well also. I did make the mistake when I striped the white paint off the Dorsett - I got about 90% of what I was doing done and ran out of Smart Strip. Thought I only had a small patch to do and bought a cheaper brand and figured " I can watch it and be careful " bad move - blistered the spot I was doing and I had to sand it smooth and then skim some color matched Gel coat over it then buff . Cost me about 3-4 extra hours of labor to fix it . Had to go back and buy the smart strip to finish. Saved nothing ! Take your time and let the product do the work ,it takes time to bubble .
      Attached Files
      Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

Peel away

I recommend Peel Away. Brush or roll it on, cover it with waxed paper. Let it sit a few hours...8 - 12 hrs, then pull the paper off and the paint comes with, usually multiple layers at once....
        Works great for bottom paint...
        Don't leave it on more that 24 hours.....

McSkagit
        Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Sounds interesting

Is that kind of like a Brazilian Boat wax ?? I'll have to check that out on my next stripping experience
          Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

Originally posted by bham-rick, post: 23357
            Is that kind of like a Brazilian Boat wax ?? I'll have to check that out on my next stripping experience
            Okay, show of hands here. Everyone who's head this joke went over, put your hand up.

Comment

I got it. and then I got excited for a minute.

I tried the chemical paint remove and had bad results. So I just sanded everything down with a plam sander. Took FOR EVER, but the end result is nice flat surfaces on the deck.
              John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
              Past Affairs:
              '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Working...
              X