Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

long shaft mod to a short shaft transom?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• long shaft mod to a short shaft transom?

I'm sure this topic comes up a lot, but I was having trouble finding the info.
    I recently aquired a really decent Dorsett Catalina. Came with an envelope that has all the registrations from January 1960 to 1990, last time used. It was sold in 2009, to a guy who did some restoration to the boat, used Interlux Brightside, with a roller; however from 10 feet, the boat looks awsome! At the time it had a 1959 Merc on the boat; original to the boat.
    He had another boat so this was a "when I have nothing else to do project". About the time he got the boat ready for the water though, his wife decided she wants a divorce. Not finding a buyer for the package, he sells the motor for way more than he had into the purchase of the package, and stuffs the boat and trailer in a storage locker..
    So now I have the boat, everything is solid, transom and all. Ah, the trailer could use some sprucing up and tires, but made it home...
    Ok, so the other "sea story", I inherited a VERY NICE 1966, Mercury 650, LONG SHAFT, with factory tilt/trim option. My dad had purchased this brand new about 4 years before he retired from being a factory trained Mercury mechanic; it got about 5 years worth of summer skiing and fishing on a lake South of Puyallup, WA, the only water the motor has been on.. Was fogged before put in storage, and I picked the motor up recently from his estate.
    Sooo, here the typical long shaft motor delima to put on a short shaft boat. Since the current transom is rock solid, I'm not too fond of an entire rebuild, but a safe and reasonably decent looking mod so I can use the motor on the boat..
    I would actually prefer not going over a 50 on the boat, and if it was a short shaft I could be on the water in a matter of hours; but all this kind of "fell" into my lap.. Plus there is the sentimental attachment of having a fun motor from my youth..
    Suggestions welcome..
    Will-E

Easiest sollution (also might be the most expensive) is to get yourself a "jack plate" which will bolt between motor and transom and has hydraulics that move the motor vertically. These are really common on high performance outboard boats and there is a variety of sizes available.

I know there was a discussion about these recently on here... Ok turns out if you use the advanced search tool there are a bunch of threads that mention the use of jack plates...

Good luck!!
    Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
    1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Working...
    X