Enduracraft or Dorsett

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enduracraft or Dorsett

I went to look at a boat, was told it was a Catalina before I got there, but she's too short. The supposidly "original"? 1960 title calls the boat a Dorsett.. Centerline measurement, as hard as I try, cannot get to total of 16 feet, more like 15'11".
    The running light is on the cabin, not on the bow.
    Speaking of the bow, The bow seems too pronounced sharply rounded up, more so than a Catalina that I am familar with.
    I was kinda disappointed, which motivated me even more to low ball him because there was one in Eugene I know is a Catalina, but he accepted.
    So now, I have a boat to replace my smashed Del Mar, now I have to make the transom fit a long shaft motor.. Still, at least I'm much closer to hitting the water than I was with the Del Mar..
    WW
    Attached Files

Good score, I like it. A Jack Plate should raise your long shaft motor to an acceptable height. Have fun with it.
    Steve Kiesel
    1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

The last EnduraCraft was made in 1957 after that the made them in their own name Dorsett. I have a 1957 EnduraCraft runabout 14 1/2 foot. Also have 1958 Dorsett 14 1/2 the first year made under their name Dorsett.
      Mike aka the pirate
      PS
      thats my 57 in the pix
      Attached Files
      Red sails at night a sailors delight Red sails in the morn sailors be warned

Comment

Well I've looked around at the Fiberglassics site to look for pictures on cabin type Dorsett boats of the late 50's-60's, and something about this shape is different, she has the stub nose of the Skagit, flatter bottom, not quite 16 feet long centerline measurement, but the transom of that era of Dorsett. Title calls the boat a 1960 Dorset; no model sub name. Registration Slips from 1960 to about 1992 all have the same name, same hull number, number is on the boat..
        Definately not the Catalina hull shape I wanted, but couldn't pass it up considering the condition and price..
        Maybe they measured the boat around the gunnel back then, I'm just trying to find out what the boat actually is ?
        WW

Comment

could be a gun'l mesurement. My 404 is only 18.5 feet LOA, but they advertised it 19 by measuring along the gun'l.
          John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
          Past Affairs:
          '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Looks kinda like this, from here: http://www.fiberglassics.com/library/Endura_Craft

The length is right...
            Attached Files

Comment

That looks a lot like Lowell's Enduracraft...

There are several great shots of his boat in the pictures & albums..

I took severl at the 2009 Baker Lake event and I know there are more good ones from the 2011 Lake Chelan event.

http://www.classicboatclub.com/forum...php?photo=2731

Looks like you found a really nice package too!! The woodwork looks to be in great shape!!
              Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
              1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Will-E, It looks like we are in the same boat.....pun intended.

I am new to this group and recenttly posted "Winter project just pulled in.." in the New Members forum. Yours in a bit nicer shape than mine but it looks to me these are very similar models. I was thinking I had a 57 EnduraCraft until I saw that they have a one piece windshield where ours are split.

The 58 Dorsetts are slightly different as well... My only conclusion is that I have a 1957-1/2 Endura-Dorsett-Craft since these companys are basically the same thing.

My boat no longer carries any company logos or emblems, does yours? Also, I need to post some more pics of mine as the provious owners filled in the top of the transom in order to take a longer shaft outboard. unfortunately they did not do the best of "repairs" and this whole transom area will need to be removed and redone
                Attached Files

Comment

Heres a Dorsett I saved and gave to somone that wanted it.
                  Mike aka the pirate:Shocked:
                  Attached Files
                  Red sails at night a sailors delight Red sails in the morn sailors be warned

Comment

NO logos left, just the title says Dorsett. Most of the confusion is the measurements of centerline and gunnel.. The quality of work the previous owner did is really nice, and he shared some detail pics; he actually started with a pretty decent speciman.
                    I've had jury duty this week, and subject to up to two more weeks, if picked.
                    I'm having to raise the transom to fit the long shaft; which I was going to start on this weekend (oops, wife has other ideas) going up 5 1/2 inches. Jack Plates seem to be quite expensive, I've done some of this before, it's not like I'm putting 250 hp on there. So some marine ply with wavey tabs into the old; biaxal 'glass and epoxy and some marine aluminum 3/8 plate I have laying around to get creative. The 65 I have has power tilt/trim.
                    Need to get a depth/GPS; have a radio, need to get antenna. Also want to put in a battery switch and a fusable panel..
                    I'd like to find Dorsett logos to put on the cabin just because I think the boat needs to regain some of the identity of the past...
                    Finally got the proper lifting eye for the Merc..
                    The boat has never been given a name, so she will be known as "Wave Walker"..; Neptune ceremony and all..
                    WW
                    Attached Files

Comment

oooh, very nice fine.

Outlaw
                      John & Colleen Weston
                      Carlyon Beach, Olympia,WA
                      lookin for the right boat

Comment

Don't mean to highjack your post Will-E but the wife was pretty upset seeing another boat like ours, though much more "finished". She was sure we had a "one-of-a-kind".

After all the years these boats have been through, with all the mods and repaires, they are one-of-a-kind.

One of the other charactaristics I've noticed between the Endurcraft and the Dorsett (thanks for the pics pathfinderz1) is that the Dorestt cabin side and front windows are much larger than those in the Enduracraft (?).

I do have the Serial Number stamped in the left aluminim transom cleat but the the numbers do not seam to offer a "date code". I will post them when I have a chance to jot them down. Maybe yours will be similar in form.

Comment

Endura craft picked up in Springfield Oregon

I picked up this Enduracraft and took it up to Marty's.
                          Attached Files
                          Bruce H. Drake
                          1956 Bell Boy Express 21'
                          1957 Norseman 19' woodie
                          1961 Glasspar Seafair Phaeton 17'
                          1957 Lyman Runabout 13' woodie

Comment

Bruce, thats nice, when did you get that and where?

Outlaw
                            John & Colleen Weston
                            Carlyon Beach, Olympia,WA
                            lookin for the right boat

Comment

Endura Craft

Picked it up in Springfield Oregon last year. Don't know if Marty still has it but I suspect it is on Marrowstone Island somewhere.
                              Bruce H. Drake
                              1956 Bell Boy Express 21'
                              1957 Norseman 19' woodie
                              1961 Glasspar Seafair Phaeton 17'
                              1957 Lyman Runabout 13' woodie

Comment

Working...
                              X