Curved Transom Replacement Skagit 20

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curved Transom Replacement Skagit 20

I'm back for another round of info from you on replacement of the slightly curved transom wood on the Skagit 20 express. I'm trying to put together my plan and budget for this project and am a little bit concerned about the process for replacing the curved transom. What are some of the things you need to do differently when approaching a curved transom? Anyone out there actually done this project on a Skagit and posted their story somewhere?

I haven't done it on a Skagit, but the transom on my Marathon is curved. I had to replace some wood back there last year and had the same concerns. I ended up leaving the lower 6 inches or so of wood in palce because I didnt' want to lose that curve.

I think if your original fiberglass is intact and you don't have to cut it out you may just be able to put your wood in there and get the curve back when you clamp it. When I had the majority of the wood out on mine it kept its shape. Not sure if that was because of the wood or just because of how it is all formed.
    John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
    Past Affairs:
    '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

That's the way Rosario's transom was replaced. Outside fiberglass stayed in place and 1/2 inch coosa board was layered inside. That is one strong transom and no change to original curved transom.
      There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Lootas dud you also use coosa board for the floor? Also how many 1/2 inch layers did you use for the transom and what kind of
        Motor did you hang on the back?

Comment

Floor was sound when I bought Rosario from Chuck Carey and it still is sound. I didn't do the transom but watched much of the operation. Chris cut away the splash well to get the wood out of the transom and get room to work. Then he laid three pieces of 1/2 inch Coosa board in place after drilling holes in a grid pattern and slathering the board with fiberglass filler. This was secured to the fiberglass transom with many clamps and wedge pieces to hold it firmly in place. This was followed by more Coosa board applied in the same way and then the third layer. Then the splash well was glassed back in.
          I hung the 1986 Evinrude 50 hp twin back on the transom and there is no flex in the transom. I wouldn't hesitate to put a much larger motor on that transom but the 50 hp. is all it needs to get the Express 17 quickly up on plane and I usually burn 3 to 4 gallons per hour running.
          There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Similar set up on the 404. I used 2 pieces of 3/4 birch. Thickened resin between the transom fiberlglass and the first piece of wood, thickened resin between the two pieces of wood. I also laied the inside facing wood with 1708 for a good solid laminate. I did this after I cut out the template but before it was on the boat. Easier to work with that way. The stiffness with that much wood and the fiberglass is rediculous. I wouldn't hesitate to hang two 6 cylinders off of the back.
            John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
            Past Affairs:
            '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Working...
            X