Battery Box or no Battery box

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery Box or no Battery box

What is your opinion on battery boxes I am getting ready to install the new transom and splash well in my 59 Fiberform (my uncle built this boat at the Fiberform factory in Spokane when he was 15). I want to run 2 6 gallon plastic tanks a battery and bilge pump under the splash well. There is not a much room under there and I can not find a way to get the added height to allow for a battery box. The boat had a holder for a 6 volt battery from the factory (one front and rear). This would run the lights and the motor was a pull start. I want an electric start motor and a 12v light system. I was thinking about just glassing in some cleats on the floor to keep a battery in place with no box and installing a hold down strap. Any thoughts?

Dave
    Dave Wickline
    1967 Jeepster Convertible
    1957 Bell Boy 16' Convertible

There are some requirements for new boat builders, however I believe because of the age of your vessel, they don't apply to you.

However, the rules revolve around a couple of requirements:

1. Main thing is to provide a way to keep the heavy batteries from becoming a missile or missiles. (Hold down function.)

2. Cover terminals and wires so they don't get crossed resulting in a direct short that could cause sparks and/or fire. (Electric sparks are an excellent source of ignition!)

Battery boxes are a relatively cheap way of meeting these requirements.
    Dave

14 Skagit Sportster Blue (formerly red)
    16 Skagit Skimaster (blue)
    17 Skagit

18 Skagit Runabout (1961?)

Comment

Rosario (Skagit 17 Express) has battery boxes in the splash well. Seems to work well for her.
      There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Dave ,
        In a 15` runabout,any weight all the way back is tough to float.Usually mounting between the two rear seats and centered will keep corners open for sliding tanks in/out.
        If covered or sealed in a box,batteries must be vented for off-gassing.
        If open then they need rubber boots to seal the terminals.
        Splashwell mounting does take it`s toll on connections,one thing in a 17` hull but not usually doable in a 15`.
        The little sealed Orbital Deka batteries can be mounted sideways and don`t need covers if ends are booted.Very popular in small Rhibs and tenders I service and do work with most any engine.
        Also note FiberGlass can be destroyed by spilled battery acid.....Bruce Gerard,aka Motorhead of Golden State Glassics,can attest to that after his Skagit Skimaster was powdered up when a battery tipped over while trailering.
        I like the Attwood twist to latch battery trays and leave the battery open but do use rubber boots and terminal covers.
        Mounting on a plate and then sliding in/out to sevice may make life better,then your strap holes and such are in the plate and not into the rear floor.
        Use what your budget/space allows but you also have many choices.:TwoCents1:
        TimM
        unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
        15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
        SeaRay 175BR
        Hi-Laker lapline
        14` Trailorboat

Comment

Battery box, maybe not... sorry = not a direct answer

Alternative to wet cell - I am using an Odyssey PC680, Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) battery in my dirt pan basic 1972 16 foot Fiberform "dump rescue" boat (love it). It starts a Yamaha 90 two stroke - with authority!!! – NO BATTERY BOX required. They cost about $100 on Ebay, but no maintenance for 5 or 6 years… per experience in my other motorized play toys; RV-4 airplane, BMW R80/7. Half the weight, 1/3 the size too. Check it out

Sorry I can't answer your question directly... I decided to "say no" to the big block wet cell batteries I have historically purchased at Walmart, because I don't have room on my runabout transom. PS -- Powersonic sells a similar size cell, but I haven't tried it yet... less expensive. My airplane hanger neighbor uses one in his bird; same size as PC680, but less expensive. Again -- check it out
          Brian Vickers
          Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

My advice would be to use a box. Keeps water away and allows you to mount it securly. On the Marathon, the battery is in the seat box on the port side. I don't actually use a box because the area is completely covered during normal operation. Plenty of vent there, as it is not a sealed compartment. The battery itesel is mounted on a custom fabed tray and held in place with heavy duty ruber straps. Seems to have worked pretty well so far!
            John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
            Past Affairs:
            '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Thanks everyone for the input. I like the idea of using a box as well but do not have the height needed to fit it under the splash well. Maybe I will look at alternative locations, in the bow maybe.

Dave
              Dave Wickline
              1967 Jeepster Convertible
              1957 Bell Boy 16' Convertible

Comment

Improvements for safety is always a good thing...
                :Skipper1: Sean Kuhlmeyer, JD
                (Sean the Lawyer in Seattle)
                1967 Glasspar Seafair Sedan - "Solstice"

Comment

Working...
                X