1955 Skagit Express Cruiser

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1955 Skagit Express Cruiser

Here is the long awaited pics of the newly aquired Express Cruiser[ATTACH]13724.vB[/ATTACH]
    Attached Files

Harry, I don't remember what the footage was from your other postings ? 20' ? However, it does look like a nice project you are going to have fun with rebuilding ! Chuck
    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

1955 skagit

well, my name is mark, and it is a 20 footer. I'm going to have a lot of questions especially with the fiberglassing, and the fiberglass fuel tanks that are contaminated and how to deal with them. If anyone would call me I would appreciate it so we can talk at length.
      Thanks Mark,
      408-510-2298 (C)
      360-215-4117(H)

Comment

Go to the search item up top and type in gas tanks. There is a way to use the fiberglass tanks. I have never done this so cannot say it is a good thing. The early Skagits like yours were overbuilt so they are supper strong. I din't think they knew how strong they had to be so they put lots of glass and resin in the boats. Are you wanting to restore original or make it to your liking. Either way is cool. Skott McDade in LaConner owns WeLike an early 20ft Skagit like yours. As I remember the interior is pretty original. Clint

Comment

Mark, I knew your name was not Harry, but did not know it so i just picked one. Are you home during the day, if so i will give you a call. Chuck
          1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
          1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Mark,
            I restored a Tyee for Ken and found the old tanks were good for creating a fwd bilge sump/storage after just cutting the tops out and rolling on many layers of epoxy primer.I used "leftover primer" from topside work as the first layers look horrible with the glass turning the primer to brown.The rusty fill tubes had tainted the glass badly,made it brittle like Almond Roca.
            If you have saddle tanks then I`d consider cutting them out but leaving tabs for mounting replacements or to fasten storage/seat boxes.
            Motorcycle and Airplane restorers use some ceramic coatings to recoat insides of rare tanks......price may dictate whether to try it.
            I`d go with new ones fit inside the old footprints but easy to spend your $......
            TimM
            unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
            15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
            SeaRay 175BR
            Hi-Laker lapline
            14` Trailorboat

Comment

I pretty much agree as the crap fuel turns the old fiberglass tank resin to snot.
              Lots of folks have replaced the tanks because of that.
              I have used tanks under the seats that work well too. I have not found a exact match to the side saddle tanks. Seems as they are a tad smaller.
              Attached Files
              Helmar Joe Johanesen
              1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
              1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
              Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
              2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
              http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Working...
              X