Sunde P-14

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunde P-14

Ok thought I'd start an official thread over here in projects. Went over and grabbed an old P-14 off my father in laws property and dragged it over to my carport last night. Its in pretty sorry shape but I decided it would be the most rewarding to rebuild this particular boat since it is something I kinda tore into years ago and didn't get anywhere, due to the size of the project, and my skills and funds at the time. I love the lines on this little boat.

So first question, what is the best way to remove the gelcoat on the hull, just use a good sander I guess? I am thinking about picking up one that runs off my compressor. Any suggestions on this?

Second question- when I cut the floor out, do I need to leave something to glass into like a rim of the old floor or take it clean off and tab onto hull? Seems like I've seen it done both ways, and i've only done a balsa recore in a few areas of a deck not a full deck replacement.

When I aked my father in law about this boat yesterday his eyes lit up. He loves classic stuff and would love to see it run, he said I really should think about throwing one of his old mercs on it, when it's ready. He also has a huge old outboard collection, who knows whats good or not though, but probably enough of a few models that I can part a couple out to make a good runner. Usually i'm partial to new four strokes though my last 4 boats all have been, after struggling with an Evinrude with A VRO pump On an Arima that left me running home on a kicker in the sound a handful of times.

Anyway back to the p-14!

Last night I pulled her old seat boxes out and everything is useable as a template(but stinky!), started getting the old tabbing off that holds the motor well/back seat structure together, and should have that out today and be able to get to the transom. Plan is to do the transom first, then the floor second, rebuild the motor well and then move on to the gelcoat and finishes. I'll try and get some pics up this week. My goal is to have this done by summer which in the Northwest means July

Sounds like a great project Sark. As far as the Gelcoat, just give it a good sanding, patch the bad spots and paint it. Here's a link Marty started on painting that has lot of good tips. [ame="http://www.classicboatclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3812"]Northwest Classic Boat Club Forum[/ame]

I've never replaced stringers myself, but I would get it down to the fiberglass, clean it up and go forward from there. Do a search on stringers, I'm sure there are past threads that deal with replacing stringers.

Have fun with the project.
    Steve Kiesel
    1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Here she is 1960 P-14

Spent yesterday pulling off the tabbing that held the motor well/back seat configuration together. Got it all out cleanly so i can use as templates, and started cleaning out the boat. Going to get some marine plywood in the next day or so, and cut the old transom out first and work my way forward on the boat.

Two questions

Vinylester Vs. Epoxy resin? I see guys here do both, I've done all my work in epoxy in the past but they were smaller jobs, my only concern is painting over the epoxy. The gelcoat is coming all they way off on the hull and I'm planning on barrier coating the entire thing and painting above the waterline with a two part poly, and below with bottom paint since it will sit in the water for a few days at a time. Any adhesion problems?

And Is marine grade plywood all the ssame or are there different grades?

Thanks for your help.
      Attached Files

Comment

Sark, I can answer your epoxy question. I've built several wooden kayaks using the System Three epoxy, then used the Interlux paints. The oldest kayak is around twelve years old and the Interlux is still holding up very well. So the epoxy will work fine for you.
        Steve Kiesel
        1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Cute little boat!

For the gelcoat, if you aren't considering painting it another color, you might just try to restore what you have. If there are a million holes in it from "good idea's" over the years it may not be as practical. But if you can fill them with nice screws and finish washers, they turn out nice.

To restore the gelcoat, just get some sandpaper and start working! You'll have to use a heavy grit like 100 or so to get the flakey white stuff off. Then work your way up with wet sanding. It doesn't take much effort once you get through the chalk and to the gelcoat. The results can be surprisingly good!

First shot is of my Marathon before I did any restoration work. Second shot is after the job was done. No paint, just sanding and wax.
          Attached Files
          John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
          Past Affairs:
          '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Thanks for the tips!! The gelcoat is pretty shot on the hull. No reviving it. I've buffed out and filled holes with gelcoat in other boats I've had in the past. This one has some blisters though, and just is in poor shape overall, glass seems solid though.

I noted in my introductory post, this was the first hull I ever wanted to restore, and actually started on it proably 11 years back, but I was just was daunted by the task when I realized what actually needed done. Now I feel like I'm up to it, have a better location with a carport, tools, even a tad of experience. This is going to be a challenge, and the blisters are the biggest part of that. At first i was thinking just to find another P-14 and start there, but I knew I would kick myself forever if I didn't at least try on the original hull. Unfinished business I guess.

Anyway really curious on the marine grade plywood, I see Maranti, and some mdo stuff too. I don't need the best of the best but might as well put in something decent.

Comment

P-14

The first boat I had here in the islands was a P-14 with a 1957 Johnson 35.
              Dark gray deck.
              These are good boats. Dry ride in rough water.
              Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Ok, Found some sources for various marine grade plywood, there is AB marine grade fir, Aqua tek(Meranti) And Okume. Sounds Like either the fir or Meranti would be ok in the transom and floor since they will be wrapped in glass, but the seats are also plywood with zolatone, so for those maybe the okume, so it doesnt check if not glassed over? Also Any finish with the zolatone look other than zolatone? I like it(I had two Cdory's and they both used this in theinterior as well.) But am unsure of the water proof factor etc...

As far as work on the boat, spent an hour last night working on taking the gelcoat down on the transom with a orbital sander, almost finished half. Hoping to get templates for the transom and floor done by this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                X