Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-skid deck paint?

Hi All:

On April 14, I will be in possession of my BellBoy and am ready to do the floor. I have all the wood and foam and have been reading everyone's advice on how to do this. I think I am ready. I'd like to paint the floor with a non skid gray paint that has the abrasive already in the paint. Any ideas what works well?

Thanks,
    Bob

I like Interdeck. From Interlux.
    59 Seafair Sedan

Comment

Bob,

I've been down this thought path as well. I actually used some home made non skid on the Marathon when I did the floor. I wasn't happy with the results as the paint wore off the tops of the sand and then it just continued to wear and I ended up with sand in the boat. Additionally, some of the sand actually was rusted!

I haven't used the interdeck, but the product that has caught my eye is kiwigrip. It is distributed locally and is used for a variety of applications. It is a rubber type coating that can be stippled to suit for foot friendly texture.

Also, it will take standard latex paint pigments. I plan on getting a gallon when the time comes and color matching it to the light blue of the outer hull on the 404.

As with anything, try it out on a sample piece of fiberglassed wood prior to applying on your boat.
      John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
      Past Affairs:
      '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

John,
        I`ve used them all,the Kiwiw grip is best to do in two passes ,use a smooth roller to get it on thin,then the texture roller to gain the grit.Don`t touch once it is layed out.Edges are best up off the deck and up a few inches so edges have a rim.You do not want to have to re-tape and paint a dirty corner...it is water base and cleans easily.Tacks up fast so can be a pain on a hot day or in direct sun.
        If trying Interdeck,use a coat of plain paint as a base ,then roll on the thickened flavor either pre-mixed or mixed to suit.2 coats is again better and a
        3 rd with no texture will give it the same look as any paint not thickened plus let it wear into grittiness with use.
        Being tacky between coats gives a better foothold than scuffing and coating a hard surface.Use Delicate Use 3-M tape and a light touch to mask.Peel edges while tacky so they lay back down and seal tight.
        Goodluck.Practice on the fender tops so it looks like you planned to match it to hull.:TwoCents1:
        TimM
        unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
        15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
        SeaRay 175BR
        Hi-Laker lapline
        14` Trailorboat

Comment

Deck Non-Skid

I wondered the best way to add non-skid to my decks? I finally rolled a nonskid compound in epoxy resin onto the deck. One that kicked, added the same nonskid compound into the polyurethane paint and rolled that on over the epoxy. I used medium grit for the decks and fine for the cockpit.
          It has held up very well and cleans easily.

For the cockpit I used the same technique using pearl grey (very light grey) Awlgrip. So far it's held up very well and is easy to clean with a little Boraxo.

A professional painter here in Friday Harbor rolled white Kiwi Grip on the decks of a Cruise-A-Home. A year later, it's looking pretty rough. Rust stains and oil stains and worn areas. Don't think Kiwi Grip lasts very well, although you can touch it up, I guess. Also, Kiwi isn't cheap!

My two cents....

Tim
          Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Working...
          X