Trader Charlie's PAINT DRYING CLUB!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trader Charlie's PAINT DRYING CLUB!

Well folks, the blue boat is in the shop (one I bought from Mr. Dow).

There were a few minor issues with a transom that I was fully aware of. One was the discoloration and abrasion transom where the motor was. The second issue was that one of the previous owners when installing a Chrysler outboard had cut a slot in the top of the transom about an inch deep. I hired the local fiberglass genius to properly repair the cut out slot with fiberglass. He did a beautiful job.

The painting of the transom was a job that was within my skill set. So I got a can of "off-white epoxy paint and a roller suitable for the job and applied the paint the outboard side of the transom. So as of right now I am waiting for the "paint to dry." About 10 o'clock morning it will of been 24 hours since I applied the first coat. I got really decent coverage but I suspect the second coat will be required. So I go down there today and the Sunday man will open the yard for me and I will apply that second coat.

Why 24 hours? Well it seems, according to the instructions on the paint can the drying time is extended when the temperature is hovering around 63 Fahrenheit. So I waited for it to dry.

I was also advised to get a quart of "TIGER HAIR." So I ordered same and that will be applied to the red boat where there are a few scratches. Those of you that have scratches or other damage to your boat that puncture the GELCOAT would be wise to look up this product on the Internet. According to the fiberglass man if you have damaged that exposes fiberglass then you need a purpose made fiberglass filler that has the ability fix that problem, otherwise you run the risk of moisture getting under the gelcoat.

When a fiberglass Guru gives you a 20 minute lecture about "How I don't want to tell you what to do." Then you listen. O'Reilly auto parts had it on 24 hour availability, and it wasn't that expensive.

The SC 1000 gauges and the new steering are installed in the boat. I will get some pictures today. The 60 Bigfoot should be installed next week. Of course, they can't do anything until I get my paint drying done.

Dave

14 Skagit Sportster Blue (formerly red)
    16 Skagit Skimaster (blue)
    17 Skagit

18 Skagit Runabout (1961?)

Stern after first coat.

Here's a picture of the stern of the blue boat after application of first coat of epoxy.

The first photo epoxy was totally dry at this point. I then started to apply a second boat and it went fairly smoothly. These two coats should be more than enough. Here is a picture of that effort in progress.
    Attached Files
    Dave

14 Skagit Sportster Blue (formerly red)
    16 Skagit Skimaster (blue)
    17 Skagit

18 Skagit Runabout (1961?)

Comment

Working...
    X