Back In The Garage......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back In The Garage......

....Again. I really did not think i would start up again on the 1958 Dorsett Saratoga 17 project. But after the Skagit 18 was sold i started getting the itch again after Sheila and I decided to wait a couple of years before we move so that made me decide now is the time to finish one more! Our plan was to sale our house next Spring - Summer of 2014 and in the meantime get rid of a lot of items in the house after 42 years which we will start doing. Now it looks like we will instead wait till 2015. One thing about her, is she does have great freeboard along with a 79" beam. I need to rebuild the transom, stringers ,new floor, install Tele-Flex steering, wiring, etc. The seats are in good condition so i would like to use them over. I think Pettit has about the best matching color as far as trying to match the original light blue with "Bikini Blue" to go a long with the blue & white seats. I plan to paint the trailer in the picture where it was sitting on and put a set of chrome wheels plus new tires,bearings, 2" coupler ,new LED tail lights and wiring. By next spring or so i hope to have it all together. Chuck
    Attached Files
    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Ah, good. Better to restore than let me chop the nose off. And you are right, the seats look great!
    John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
    Past Affairs:
    '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

John, Yes the seats are not all that bad. Just a little cleaning up is all they need. Being i have another year to mess with boats , i decided to finish with this Dorsett Runabout like what i started with about 1961 with my first Dorsett
      Attached Files

Comment

Me too

Chuck,

I am always thinking of down sizing my stuff, and moving. Yet to happen, and I keep adding to the pile. Probably need to add a boat to the collection.

Allan
        1958 Dorsett Farallon
        1959 Bellboy Ballerina

Comment

Allan, We will start clearing the storage room out to start with and getting some other things ready to get rid of. Doing it over a two year time will make it a lot easier...i think. As far as the boats , i have a plan where to store them...i think again. Chuck

Comment

Chuck:

That Blue Boat looks like the perfect project. When you paint it, and get the paint dry and a few other little details, the thing will be the perfect Lake boat. A lot less to trailer, and go like crazy with the minimum amount of horsepower.

Maybe, you need to keep it.

StirPot
            Dave

14 Skagit Sportster Blue (formerly red)
            16 Skagit Skimaster (blue)
            17 Skagit

18 Skagit Runabout (1961?)

Comment

Lake boat? Shoot, everyone knows those old Skagits and Bell Boys are bay boats! Take em in the big water!

:catchfish1:
              John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
              Past Affairs:
              '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Dave, If i did keep the Dorsett Saratoga, i would use it in Puget Sound and a few lakes. All a person needs to do is "plan" their trips like .......wet your finger to see what direction the wind is blowing and see if the rocks on the beach are wet , that way you would know if the tide is going out or coming in and watch the weather.It does have a good 79" beam and 30" of freeboard. When i was around 21 i took my wife "to be" ( she did not know any better , but after that trip she sure did !!!!! ) in my Trophy style G-3 looking boat over to Bainbridge Island from Ballard for a friends Birthday party.Now that's a whole another story ! That picture is of the G-3 at Lake Mayfield in 2010......49 years later. Sheila liked it a lot better than the Trophy ! The last picture is the first boat i had back in about 1960 and it was a Dorsett El Dorado Runabout. Sheila did drive it only one time as i water ski behind it ( rubber suit and i still have the ski ) in Feb. Yep , "Those were the good old days " Chuck
                Attached Files

Comment

Well, I am convinced that there is not much you can't do Chuck.
                  Your color options are always nice to see too.

The way I look at it is that it keeps you out of other kinds of mischief :GoodJob:
                  Helmar Joe Johanesen
                  1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                  1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                  Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                  2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                  http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Working...
                  X